SEND & Inclusion Partnership
Tuesday 8th December 2020 – Microsoft Teams
1. Minutes of previous meeting and action log
MB – St Paul’s C of E Primary School, Leamington Spa
JB – SEND CCG & South Warwickshire Foundation Trust
Ian Budd (IB) – Assistant Director Education, WCC
RC – SEND Commissioning Lead, WCC
DC - Strategy and Commissioning Manager - SEND & Inclusion, WCC
EC – Parent Carer Forum
JD – Coventry & Rugby CCG (also representing Warwickshire North CCG)
CE – Rise, CWPT
EH – SENDIAS
SH – Business Support (note taker)
MK - Service Manager for Early Help & Targeted Support Services, WCC
ZM - Strategy & Commissioning Manager (All Age Targeted Support), WCC
NW – Principal, Quest Academy
DW – NHS Apologies:
AR - SENDAR & Educational Psychology Service, WCC
MS - South Warwickshire CCG
IB welcomed everyone to the meeting.
The minutes of the previous meeting were reviewed and then were confirmed to be
accurate. RC went through the actions from the previous meeting which were listed on
the action log. The following actions are to be carried forward/actioned.
• ‘Secondary school headteacher to be invited to join the partnership’.
• ‘RC and colleagues to meet to discuss number of referrals and put together EHCP
NW gave an update on her action. She had spoken with MB about the research project
to do with the mental health impacts of COVID-19. NW said that unfortunately her
school are not able to have any more people outside of the school involved in the
research project e.g. no WCC involvement. Action
• RC & SH to organise sending out the SEND & Inclusion Partnership Board Terms
2. Developments in Early Help
MK shared a presentation and gave an update. The areas covered in MK’s update
• Stepped Approach – expanded Early Help
• Accessing Family Support
• Parent Trainers and Parent Programmes
• Early Help Social Workers
• Headteacher Coaches
• Early Years
• Targeted Youth
• Early Help Training
• Triage Tool
• Restorative Practice
• Feedback from DSL Training
• Feedback from NQT & RQT Training
• Locality Early Action Partnership (LEAPS)
• Reducing Parental Conflict
(Please see MK’s presentation attached to these minutes for further information).
MB thanked MK for her presentation. MB stated that Early Help is crucial.
MK explained the Early Help process to MB e.g. getting family to ring the family support
helpline. They will get help on the day. Any referrals such as debt or finance can be
dealt with. The Family Information Service can help with that too. The service also has
Targeted Support officer to help in meetings with higher level cases.
IB said that the update on the Early Help model would be a good focus for one of the
Tuesday lunchtime meetings with headteachers. MB confirmed this was a good idea as
messages are getting across to headteachers in those meetings.
CE recognised that there is the need to respond to the offer of help/support. Trying to
think of Public Health offer of support. The Family Information Service webpages were
MK stated that she would be happy to attend team meetings in different settings to
talk about Early Help.
• MK to send presentation to SH to be attached to the minutes.
• RC to discuss with MK which Early Help data to include in the performance report.
• Colleagues to contact MK regarding invitations to team meetings to discuss Early
3. Performance Report and Dashboard
RC presented the performance report and gave an update (please see RC’s presentation
attached to these minutes for further information).
% of ‘Decision not to Proceed with EHC Needs Assessment’ – EC asked RC why the
percentage had increased since last year. RC explained that figures are significantly
different in different areas. This needs investigating further. Will be looking to change
priorities in partnerships.
JB asked what the reasons were regarding not to proceed for EHC. RC stated the main
• Insufficient evidence
• Needs can be met in school.
RC presented the SEND Performance Dashboard which is currently in development.
Regarding exclusions and attendance and discussions taking place about reporting from
ISP and AP providers, ZM asked RC if ISP exclusions were included. RC said when
reporting on exclusions, the exclusions are from state-funded schools, not ISPs. ZM
thought reporting on ISP exclusions would be important and should be a Warwickshire
requirement. RC said he is not able to include ISPs at the moment but could look into
including them on the dashboard in a separate tab.
EC asked if RC is collecting and monitoring numbers of fixed term exclusions (FTE). EC
thought it would be a key factor to start tracking these. RC stated that finalised FTE
data often isn’t available until a long time afterwards. Actions
• % of ‘Decision not to Proceed with EHC Needs Assessment’ - RC to look at
localised data and the reasons behind it and then bring back analysis at the next
• RC to look into how to capture permanent exclusions from ISPs and fixed term
4. SEND & Inclusion Change Programme
RC gave the following updates: Programme Update (see slide in attached presentation)
RC discussed commissioning external capacity. It would be helpful to have a third party
to challenge on co-production. This would be in addition to JB (participation officer).
RC also stated that the Parent Carer Forum will be central to co-production once it is
There had been some feedback received from the headteachers’ conference held in
October, some negative as well as positive.
EC gave an update about the Parent Carer Forum planning session which she attended.
EC explained that planning is not moving quickly and the forum is currently small in
number. EC is worried about the forum not being representative.
A discussion was held about capturing the voice of parents.
ZM reported that her team use Grapevine for target engagement activity for families
with autism and learning disabilities. They are fantastic. Grapevine use creative and
innovate ways of engaging with those families. ZM is in the process of opening up
dialogue with them and encouraging them to get them involved.
EC reported that parents are keen to start pre-planning however there is a barrier as
the grant to PCF is being held back to March 2021 so they can’t move forward. EC
asked if there will be any movement with this to get going in order to have the first
quarter of 2021 to do planning. RC said he didn’t know at this stage. Project Update (see slide in attached presentation)
EC asked about the Changing Conversation proposal – which one will change and if
parents will be involved. RC explained the process. EC would be interested to see the
EC asked about progress on the quality assurance framework. This will be brought back
to a future meeting.
EC asked about children not receiving educational entitlement, does that extend
towards persistent absence as well, and attendance difficulties?
RC said yes in the example of where children are missing from education in terms of
normally on a school roll but have lost connection with the school. RC explained
further. Redesign of local offer website (see slides in attached presentation)
• RC/EC to send feedback to MB about issues regarding the Parent Carer Forum
and escalate as necessary.
• RC to get an update on the quality assurance framework.
5. Joint Commissioning Update
RC gave a verbal update.
The joint commissioning board meeting is taking place tomorrow. Areas including
SENDIAS and equipment costs will be featured on the agenda.
Occupational Therapy – continuing with the work developed by JB last year. RC
reported that there is a new offer of sensory assessment in occupational therapy.
Alternative Provision Framework – RC confirmed this would be one framework to link
with the alternative provision project.
Special School Nursing – JD stated that MS didn’t have an update for this meeting. RC
confirmed that this would be on the agenda for tomorrow’s meeting.
6. Any Other Business
RC thanked everyone for attending and closed the meeting.
Next meeting – Tuesday 9th February 2021 (10.00am – 12.00pm)