SEND & Inclusion Partnership
Thursday 22nd October 2020 – Microsoft Teams
Welcome, Apologies and Introductions
MB – St Paul’s C of E Primary School, Leamington Spa
JB – SEND CCG & South Warwickshire Foundation Trust
RC – SEND Commissioning Lead, WCC
DC - Strategy and Commissioning Manager - SEND & Inclusion, WCC
CE – Rise, CWPT
MG – Service Manager, MASH & Initial Response, WCC
EH – SENDIAS
SH – Business Support (note taker)
MR - Alternative Provision Strategic Lead, WCC
MS – South Warwickshire CCG
NW – Principal, Quest Academy
DW – NHS Apologies:
JD – Coventry & Rugby CCG (also representing Warwickshire North CCG)
AR - SENDAR & Educational Psychology Service, WCC
Ian Budd (IB) – Assistant Director Education, WCC
RC welcomed everyone to the meeting.
Apologies were stated and introductions were given by those present.
Notes of Last Meeting and Matters Arising
The notes of the previous meeting were agreed by those present once the actions
had been reviewed. Actions
• NW to link with AR regarding research on mental health needs in special
• DW to submit feedback to RC about the SEND & Inclusion reports.
• RC to chase up actions with JB from the previous meeting (item 9 – AOB).
SEND & Inclusion Change Programme Update
RC presented the documents (three appendices) and gave an update.
DC raised a query regarding item 4 in Appendix C - number of new requests for EHC
plans. DC said there isn’t a measure on there in terms of ratings. RC answered that
the number was less than this time last year. Over May and June 2020, the number
of requests was particularly high, still in the 80’s in June, then came down in August
due to the summer holiday and then 30 in September which is lower than usual.
MB stated that the SENDCO’s had more time to go through their workloads so were
able to do quicker work with processing EHC plans in the Summer.
DC asked if colleagues could meet outside this meeting to discuss numbers of
referrals and put together an analysis of requests. This then would become part of
the SEND change programme.
DC stated we also need to look into how we combine DFE/NHS data with the SEND
data as part of the programme.
RC was hoping to show an animation highlighting the key messages from the change
programme but was unable to present this during this meeting due to technical
• RC and colleagues to meet to discuss number of referrals and put together
EHCP request analysis.
RC presented the document and gave an update.
The 90-minute review meeting with the DfE and NHS England was held with KR.
RC stated that we want to take advantage of the regional DBOT offer.
DC said it is quite useful that the DfE and NHS England are going to revisit the local
authority for a further meeting. There is a need for data and sharing data. KR will be
in touch to set that meeting up.
DW stated that we need to make sure that enough representation is required.
DC said that the focus would be on the parent carer forum. Action
• RC and DC to contact the group with the details of the follow-up meeting with
the DfE and NHS England once KR has set it up.
SEND & Inclusion Change Programme: Co-production Approach
RC presented the document and gave a brief update.
RC is not looking to sign this off as the new parent carer forum, when constituted,
should do so. No other comments were made. Actions
SENDIAS: Quality Standards Review
EH presented the report and gave an update.
Currently working with steering group to review standards. EH gave further detail of
this. EH reported that SENDIAS is currently at full capacity. Any additional funding
has come to an end. The service could offer families much more. EH asked if the
group can look at ways forward.
RC stated that SENDIAS is commissioned out with an open contract (£123,000). Staff
in SENDIAS work part time. This has stayed the same for the last 10 years.
EH reported that SENDIAS are working towards other areas. RC stated we need to
review the local authority’s contribution.
Health colleagues stated that a joint commissioning process is required.
DW has been discussing data and where different concerns may go e.g. health. No
enquiries were raised regarding EHC related issues. DW did raise with commissioners
and held a discussion with the local authority commissioner.
MS and JB stated that they are happy to be involved and have conversations
regarding joint commissioning.
MB stated that the SENDIAS service is vital to help with reducing EHCP applications.
DC said that we must make sure we don’t reject plans for those who really need them
and to get those particular plans in as soon as possible. We require an agreed
working relationship between everyone and need a good understanding. A further
discussion was held about this.
NW wondered whether the local authority could create some videos, one for
professionals and one for parents giving details of what can happen regarding SEN
support, plus a video for different stakeholders to get the same message across.
DC agreed with the idea of the narrative and the videos. This would be a piece of
work to be done as part of the local offer.
DC said that we would need to make sure that schools are delivering SEN support and
to make sure we are clear of what is available and when.
MB reported that in mainstream schools, finance has got tighter and because of this,
different schools have made different priorities. Not enough schools have prioritised
DC suggested that as part of the change programme, we need to look at what is part
of the core offer. DC has asked educational psychology services what we can offer to
schools free of charge. Actions
• SENDIAS funding and capacity to be taken up as an item at joint commissioning
• The Local Offer project to create a web page regarding matching pathways and
to consider SEN support videos for professionals, parents and stakeholders.
SEND & Inclusion Change Programme: Commissioning High Needs Places
RC presented the document and gave a brief update.
No other comments were made.
SEND & Inclusion Change Programme: Children not on a school roll
MR gave a verbal update.
MR and her team have always been tracking children missing education and have
very much been working with schools on this. The big issue during COVID-19 has
been the volume of children not attached to any school who haven’t be able to
access free school meals vouchers.
During COVID-19, there was the need to focus on how many children were not on a
school roll. MR worked with colleagues to put together a scoping exercise to work
out how many children across the local authority (more than SEND). The result was
580 children not on a roll.
The question that followed this result was why. The reasons given were:
• Admissions systems not working as they should.
• Children attending unregistered alternative provision and not on a school roll
• Children having medical reasons and not being attached to a school roll
because of those reasons.
• Children who had EHC plans but not on a school roll.
• Children who had been excluded
• Children missing as they were abroad and were stuck there because of COVID-
How is this happening? How is this volume of children not on a school roll? This is
the reason for the project.
The team have started to map out what process we currently have and with partners
at schools. There are six priority groups, looking at what the situation is now and
how do we know who these children are. Also looking at the Synergy system to get
data and making sure it is credible and accurate.
The team have also looked at what can be improved which is part of the SEND change
programme. This includes improving processes and communicating with schools
about how to get these children back onto a school roll.
MR said she will be able to show a dashboard in the near future.
DC talked about the setting up of key principles around our children especially those
with EHCP’s and children in alternative provision. DC said MR has done some
fantastic work to drive this forward. DC suggested to MR to get specific case studies
to share with school leaders.
MB said this needs to be dovetailed – children who are not in a school environment
but not on a school roll. MB asked what agencies are available to support the schools
and families. DC & MB had conversation about this.
JB asked if the 580 children not on a school roll would all be on a maintained local
authority school roll? MR said they wouldn’t all be.
Any Other Business
DW asked if the Special School Nursing Review is back on track.
RC confirmed that the review sits with the CCGs. MS and JD have discussed this
recently however there has been no progress and needs to be picked up. Action
• MS and JD to give a verbal update regarding the Special School Nursing
Review at the next meeting.
RC thanked everyone for attending and closed the meeting.
Next meeting – Tuesday 8th December 2020 (10.00am – 12.00pm)