SEND & Inclusion Partnership
Thursday 10th September 2020 – Microsoft Teams
Welcome, Apologies and Introductions
JB – SEND CCG & South Warwickshire Foundation Trust
Ian Budd (IB) – Assistant Director of Education Services, WCC
JC – SEND Integrated Services, Education Delivery Lead
RC – SEND Commissioning Lead, WCC
DC - Strategy and Commissioning Manager - SEND & Inclusion, WCC
JD – Coventry & Rugby CCG (also representing Warwickshire North CCG)
EC – Warwickshire Parent Carer Forum
EH – SENDIAS
SH – Business Support (note taker)
ZM – Service Manager, Commissioning, WCC
NW – Principal, Quest Academy
DW – NHS Apologies:
CE – Rise, CWPT
MG – Service Manager, MASH & Initial Response, WCC
MS – South Warwickshire CCG
DWilk – South Warwickshire Foundation Trust
IB welcomed everyone to the meeting.
Apologies were stated and introductions were given by those present.
Notes of Last Meeting and Matters Arising
The notes of the previous meeting were agreed by those present.
RC reported that there was only one action from the previous meeting. RC thanked
colleagues for submitting comments to AR.
Governance and Updated Terms of Reference
RC gave context for this item.
SEND & Inclusion Change Programme within the council’s governance – partnership
to have an opportunity to comment before a decision is made.
RC explained that the SEND & Inclusion Board has now been changed to the SEND &
The partnership is responsible for areas including monitoring, raising areas of concern
and providing challenge.
A discussion was held regarding the membership of the partnership which included
SWFT representation and the idea of including a secondary school headteacher
The partnership will sign off the terms of reference once they have been agreed.
It was stated that the partnership should not be a decision-making forum but more
about information sharing. It was requested that this should be stated in the terms
EC asked what assurances there will be of parent voices being heard. RC said that the
parent carer forum is to be involved and will be part of the project.
EC also asked if there will be another avenue for parent participation. RC stated that
representation is currently in transition however a parent voice in the partnership is
• SWFT representative for the partnership to be decided (JB or DW).
• Secondary school headteacher to be invited to join the partnership.
• Terms of reference to reflect that the partnership is about information sharing
and not decision-making.
COVID-19 Response: Back to School
IB reported on the school attendance figures for the start of this term (88% of pupils
attended) which was better than expected for first week back. IB thanked colleagues
who made adaptations for risk assessments and also thanked parents.
Will be working with families who have decided on home education.
IB discussed the ministerial letter which had been circulated to colleagues prior to
A meeting with DfE is being held to look at the situation including concerns and
anxieties. There are lots of information for parents and schools regarding transport
and changes in school routine. These will be updated, and everyone will be kept
RC reported that a number of SENDIAS queries had been received. SENDIAS have
data on attendance.
RC asked colleagues for any feedback regarding pupils returning to school this term.
EC stated that Warwickshire’s position around attendance was entirely flexible and
open to supporting families for returning to school. EC expresses her thanks for this.
EC asked if there is a statement from WCC about this to promote nationally.
EC said there is some confusion around school risk assessments and individual risk
assessments for high needs learners. Is there a process for those struggling to
attend, to advise families? IB said that process should be in place and schools should
be putting their risk assessments on their websites.
EC also asked do parents need to ask for individual risk assessments. IB confirmed
that they do need to ask.
DW talked to CM at Exhall Grange School yesterday about this issue. They are
working together with families to resolve issues. DW has been feeling positive about
school adaptions. Working very well in Warwickshire.
JC stated that the DfE guidance doesn’t give enough practical advice for schools. JC is
currently looking at this.
EC asked if there will be a press release about DW’s and JC’s work. JC’s team are
currently doing case studies.
NW said that collaborative working with the board/partnership has been most
supportive and needs to be publicised/celebrated.
NW reported that the psychologist at Quest Academy is doing own project on the
impact of COVID-19 on parents, staff and children. A report with the findings is
hoping to be published by Christmas. NW asked if WCC wants to be part of the
EC asked about the COVID-19 funding for schools. IB talked about the COVID-19
wellbeing offer of £83,000 which would pay for level of training in school.
NW said there was a reminder at the special school heads meeting about risk
assessments and EHCPs. Actions
• DC to link with NW about larger scale adjustments regarding mental health
needs in special schools.
• Ask colleagues in school communications about what should be published
regarding the positive work of the partnership.
SEND & Inclusion Change Programme
RC led an update and gave an overview of the reports which were shared prior to this
Feedback regarding the reports have been received internally. Further updates will
be provided in future meetings.
With inclusion being vital, EC asked what the balance will be between going for
inclusion but also recognising families. IB stated that there will always be a need for
DC stated that it is about need and having the provision to meet the need. We
shouldn’t have families feeling they need to enrol at a special school to get the needs
they require. It is always about quality teaching first. Children have a right to go to
Further discussions took place between EC and DC regarding this issue.
• Colleagues to submit feedback to RC about the SEND & Inclusion reports within
the next week.
Project Update: Pears Site
RC gave an update and overview. The paper for this item was distributed prior to the
ZM then reported on the use of the bungalows. A site visit was carried out this week
with RISE to get the feel of the bungalows. There will be a multi-agency office in the
The bungalows at the back will be allocated for admin function and for emergency
72-hour accommodation. This will stop admittance for wards in hospitals including
Macgregor ward in Warwick Hospital.
There will be another site visit next week for RISE.
JB gave some positive feedback from ZM’s update. JB stated that the South
Warwickshire Foundation Trust (SWFT) have a mental health coordinator/contact on
Macgregor Ward. JB will send details to ZM.
EC said she would be happy to give parent carer forum support for this project which
ZM accepted. EC said she would give names of parents to ZM.
JD then gave an update about the Clinical offer - would like this to be a Coventry &
Warwickshire offer. Actions
• JB to send details of SWFT contact to ZM.
• EC to give parents’ details to ZM.
SEND & Inclusion Review by DfE/NHS England
RC updated colleagues regarding a two-hour meeting on 1st October to be led by
DfE/NHS England. This was requested by KR.
DC stated that the DfE want to know about waiting lists / strengths of areas / annual
reviews / service areas etc. DC assured colleagues that there is nothing to worry
about but if anyone wishes to attend to please prepare to bring data for their
RC confirmed who has received invites for that meeting.
DW stated that he will be on leave during the week of the meeting. DW asked JB if
she could cover. JB said she would confirm her attendance.
RC said that social care representation is also required.
• RC to invite JB to the SEND & Inclusion Review and for JB to confirm her
DC led an update. Papers were distributed prior to the meeting.
Report on preparation
The inspection for WCC has not yet taken place. Want to make sure we are well
Inspections have been suspended for the moment. Ofsted will visit some areas
during autumn term.
JC reported that the DfE led a presentation for West Midlands. JC to make sure it
JC stressed that the autumn term visits are visits, not inspections! There will
scheduled to be either two or three visits for West Midlands. Either WCC or
Wolverhampton to volunteer.
Ofsted are keen to look at case studies of children and young people.
DC reported that new guidance has been issued and we need to look out for that.
The visits are not to be burdening and will help Ofsted think about the new
framework for 2022.
Ofsted are not anticipating lots of preparation on our part for their visit.
Written statement of action – RC stated that the view of Corporate Board was for
WCC not to volunteer. DC said we may not be included as we’ve already got a SEND
RC confirmed for EC that RH would be the main contact for working with parents
during the inspection.
Members to cast an eye over the report and submit feedback to RC.
This will be updated for October.
• Colleagues to look through the SEND Self-evaluation papers.
• JC to circulate the West Midlands DfE presentation to the group.
• Colleagues to submit feedback to RC regarding the self-evaluation report.
Any Other Business
JB reported that she had sent a letter to schools regarding reinstating clinical work.
JB is going to send a plan to the council about how that is working. She will also send
the letter to the council in the next few days.
It was also reported that staff are now back in their substantive roles.
JC asked what the latest position with health visitors is – are they all back doing
regular work? JB to find out if that is in the letter. Clinics have all been reopened. Actions
• JB to send schools’ letter to WCC regarding reinstating clinical work.
• JB to contact JC regarding health visitors query.
IB thanked everyone for attending and for their contributions and closed the
Next meeting – Thursday 22nd October 2020 (12pm – 2pm)