SEND & Inclusion Board
Friday 22nd May 2020 – Microsoft Teams
Welcome, apologies and introductions
CA – SENDIAS Coordinator
JB – South Warwickshire Foundation Trust
RC – SEND Board Development Manager, WCC
DC - Strategy and Commissioning Manager - SEND & Inclusion, WCC
JD – Coventry & Rugby CCG (also representing Warwickshire North CCG)
CE – Rise, CWPT
MG – Children with Disabilities Lead Social Worker, WCC
ZM - Service Manager, Commissioning, WCC
AR – Principal Educational Psychologist, WCC
RW – Warwickshire Parent Carer Forum
NW – Quest Academy
DW – NHS Apologies:
MB – St Paul’s C of E Primary School, Leamington Spa
Ian Budd (IB) – Assistant Director of Education Services, WCC
MS – South Warwickshire CCG
DW - South Warwickshire Foundation Trust
DC welcomed everyone to the meeting.
Apologies were stated by RC and introductions were made by the members of the
Notes of last meeting and matters arising
Previous meeting notes agreed by those present. The following updates were given:
• Communications to the SEND Board is still to be actioned.
• SEND Journey – this will be picked up as part of the SEND Change Programme.
• Blue Badge Scheme – no update at this stage. The scheme will be continuing.
• Proposed merge of Round Oak & Ridgeway Schools – it was confirmed that
Cabinet have approved this proposal following public consultation. A press
release is expected following the call-in period.
RC updated the group in relation to actions still in momentum that are contributing
to the drive for direction.
• Ref 652 – discussions have been held. Kate is taking forward.
• Ref 655 – the SEND Change Programme will need to be raised at the next
• Ref 656 – this has not yet been resolved.
• Ref 657 – this has not yet been resolved but discussions are ongoing.
DC and RC led a verbal update.
DC firstly updated colleagues about the arrangements regarding schools and working
towards the possible opening on 1st June. Schools are to do risk assessments and
DW stated that specific guidance is being developed on Aerosol Generating
Procedures. DW stated that he is more than happy to look at risk assessments.
CE stated it would be useful to share the AGP statement with partners/health
RW raised the issue of shielding. RW reported that families were told to shield until
June however some families were not told if their children were in the shielding
group. Is it safe for those children to go back to school or not?
DW reported that this issue was mentioned in yesterday’s working group. There is
also a second group looking at shielding. New guidance to be issued soon.
RW asked if this will be done for 18-25 year olds as well. DW confirmed he has seen
the list of young people in that age group.
DC gave a further update on Risk Assessments. Currently working with schools and
RW asked about the children with disabilities team contacting all families with a
social worker. There are some families that have children with disabilities which have
packages. RW asked if those particular families should be contacted.
MG stated that all children are RAG rated. MG explained the RAG rating process.
MG said if anyone in the Parent Carer Forum knows of families with children that
haven’t been contacted, to let MG know.
RC led an update about EHC Assessments. New guidance has been issued with
changes made to section 42.
EHC Assessments still going ahead. 105 requested in March, 79 in April.
RC stated that Annual Reviews should carry on virtually.
RC reported that therapy services have been organising online services.
DC stated that she is hoping to get additional capacity from Ofsted to work with
AR reported that business support resources have been secured to help with the
backlog of annual reviews and cases.
Regarding therapies, JB reported that half of the work force have been redeployed.
JB is currently working on the exit strategy and restoration plan.
RC reported that the Year 6 to Year 7 transitions group is being set up.
NW asked if guidance regarding taxi transport has been issued following the pandemic.
It was confirmed that nothing has been published as yet.
NW stated that there has been some anxiety from parents regarding taxi transport.
Some people are wearing masks, but others aren’t. Taxis not been cleaned is also a
concern. RC stated that taxis should be cleaned. Parents and schools need to
feedback on the cleanliness on taxis.
It was confirmed that guidance has not been issued as yet regarding the use of
DC stated that there will be a lot of government guidance being issued today. Actions
• DW to share guidance on Aerosol Generating Procedures for further
circulation (when ready).
• DW to share shielding list for 18-25 with local authority.
• JB to send restoration plan to DC and JC.
• NW to forward e-mail from transport team to DC regarding her taxi queries,
and DC to escalate.
SEND Programme Report
RC presented the report and gave update.
Regarding progress data, DC asked if progress is being measured for those with SEN
support. RC confirmed that this is taking place.
Colleagues were asked to look at SEND Programme Report in further detail and send
any feedback to RC & DC.
SEND Change Programme
RC & DC presented the report and gave an update including a budget update.
CA stated that she would like to discuss with parents about resourced provision and
asked what the timelines were for this.
DC said that the strategy needs to be pulled into one place in the change programme.
The pandemic has given colleagues the opportunity to stop and reflect and focus on
the risk assessments.
DC said the system is not sustainable the way it is. Need to realign data to reflect
trends and signpost each other to the local offer.
DC stated that a timeframe will be put together. Changes need to be made and need
to happen sooner rather than later. Actions
Data Review (for info)
RC presented the report. It was noted that:
• Data is shared for information – showing that trends in progress and
attainment for children with SEND are going down.
• Further discussions would be needed with school leaders to identify resulting
Any other business
CA raised a couple of items:
1) Warwickshire Alternative Provision Framework
- CA asked for clarification on
where she could access this. RC confirmed that it could be obtained from MR.
2) FAQ for SENDIAS Service
– CA asked how to go about disseminating the FAQ
document and if anyone had a list of professionals’ e-mails for dissemination.
JR suggested to forward it to DW, CE and herself who will then forward to CCG.
MG suggested to forward the FAQ document to him, and he would disseminate it to
social care services.
RC then suggested to send it to the board members so they can disseminate to their
colleagues. Quality Assurance
DC stated that colleagues need to make sure that EHC plans are of good quality to
make sure they are fit for purpose for children.
She is auditing six plans as the first part in developing a quality assurance framework.
DC will share the initial findings. DC would welcome feedback from colleagues.
RW asked if colleagues had looked at the Impower case studies. DC stated they
hadn’t as yet but will speak to CL and her colleagues at Impower.
DC stated that she will bring the Quality Assurance report to the next meeting. Actions
• CA to send SENDIAS FAQ document to the board members for dissemination.
• DC to speak to CL to look at Impower case reviews.
• RC to add Quality Assurance report to the next meeting’s agenda.
DC thanked everyone for attending and closed the meeting.
Next meeting – Wednesday 1st July 2020 (10.00am – 12.00pm)