SEND & Inclusion Partnership
Thursday 25th March 2021 – Microsoft Teams
1. Minutes of previous meeting and action log
Ian Budd (IB) – Assistant Director Education, WCC
RC – SEND Commissioning Lead, WCC
MG – Service Manager, MASH & Initial Response, WCC
EH – SENDIAS
SH – Business Support (note taker)
TM - Manager EMTAS and SEND & Inclusion Change Programme Integrated Services
ZM - Strategy & Commissioning Manager (All Age Targeted Support), WCC
SM – Headteacher, Alcester Academy
MS - South Warwickshire CCG
NW – Principal, Quest Academy
DW – Designated Clinical Officer, NHS
DY - Warwickshire Parent Carer Voice Apologies:
MB – St Paul’s C of E Primary School, Leamington Spa
JB – Designated Clinical Officer, NHS
JD – Coventry & Rugby CCG (also representing Warwickshire North CCG)
DE – SENCO
KS - Lead Commissioner - Family Wellbeing, WCC
IB welcomed everyone to the meeting. Introductions were given by everyone present. Minutes of previous meeting
The minutes were checked by everyone present and were taken as accurate. Action Log
The following actions were discussed:
• MS and JD to give a verbal update regarding the Special School Nursing Review
at the next meeting
– MS reported that another meeting took place this week.
Currently finalising a draft document ready for some engagements. It has been
agreed to get the finalised document ready in the next 2 - 3 weeks and then
plan how to engage with partners around that. Will also need to do work on
implications. This is ongoing and progressing well. RC stated that we should
have a proposal on the commissioning of special school nursing after Easter.
• RC to discuss with MK which Early Help data to include in the performance
– RC confirmed that this is still to be completed as part of the
Performance Dashboard (statutory returns prioritised).
• RC to look into how to capture permanent exclusions from ISPs and fixed term
– RC still needs to work with ND on this.
• For work on SEND Guidance to progress working to 1 September launch date
RC confirmed that 1st September is still the timeframe. Will update at future
2. Performance report and dashboard
RC presented the slides with updates and gave further verbal updates on the
DY asked how many children who do not have an EHCP but do have SEND are not in
school full time. Has this been measured?
RC confirmed that we have a wider measure for those who aren’t on a school roll
overall. RC will find out for DY from the Educational Entitlement Team led by MR and
will share the data with DY. RC confirmed there are 10,000 children on SEN support
across Warwickshire Schools.
EH asked to clarify the reduced percentage of ‘Decision not to Proceed with EHC Needs
Assessment’. Dropped from 40% to 28%. RC confirmed the 28% figure is for referrals
that came in during January. RC stated that one of the measures is to continue
NW wanted to highlight something that has been raised previously regarding the
understanding of the aim to get more children from independent schools back into
Warwickshire. What is happening at the moment is when other local authorities state
that they don’t have to go through the Warwickshire panel and just name the school
when the school have got a space. Quest Academy are getting more Coventry and
Northamptonshire schools. Quest Academy only have one space left for September
which someone could name as in another local authority and will have a knock-on
effect. When Quest Academy are named by another local authority, they don’t have a
RC stated that the demand for special school places has gone up nationally, not just in
Warwickshire. RC said that he appreciated NW’s situation as it is the same in other
special schools in the county e.g. Woodlands and Exhall Grange Schools. RC said that
decision making panels could be speeded up and this is one of the aims of the panels
MG gave an update which he also shared in writing: “One of the tasks I have picked up in my new role is to lead the development work of the
SEND decision making panels. There are two broadcasts next week - 29th and 31st
March - for external partners, where I am giving an update on the work so far and MR is
providing an update on Alternative Provision. If you have not seen this advertised in
various updates, please let me know and I will ensure you get the information.”
RC then shared the finance report. No questions were raised following the report.
• RC to find out from the Educational Entitlement Team how many children who do
not have an EHCP but do have SEND are not in school full time, then share data
3. SEND Local Area Inspection
RC presented the slides and IB led an update regarding the Ofsted inspections and the
forthcoming SEND local area inspection.
IB stated that a pack of key documents for the SEND local area inspection will be shared
with the group.
RC shared a further update. Need to put together a task and finish group to discuss and
plan this further. Had a number of meetings with SWFT following the Coventry
inspection. A number of meetings will be held to plan for the inspection. IB stated that
a strategic meeting will be taking place next week with strategic leads in health, social
care and education.
DW asked if there will be one presentation to roll out across different agencies. RC
confirmed that this was correct but would need to have separate NHS and council
approaches and would need a joint group to work this up. RC confirmed there will be a
joint presentation to start before moving into focus groups. After this, the inspectors
will then go into school settings for two days.
SM stated that the headteachers in the south of the county are in a good position. SM
wanted to know whether school settings have already been selected for the inspection.
IB confirmed that no schools have been selected yet as we haven’t yet had the call for
the inspection. SM said she would feed this back at the headteachers meeting with JC
DY asked how many focus groups would the parent carers be involved with during the
inspection. RC confirmed that there would be one group solely for parent carers.
Other groups should also have parent carer representation and we will work through
that with the Forum. RC will send through the logistics plan once it has been updated.
NW asked if the school setting visits would be held virtually. RC said he wasn’t sure at
this stage and will need to get clarity on this. It is expected that the focus groups will
meet virtually. IB stated that it has not yet been clarified as to whether they will be face-
to-face visits or virtual.
RC stated that the council needs to link up with health colleagues i.e. DW and MS, and
also to link up with DY in Parent Carer Voice to prepare for the inspection.
IB concluded by stating that this group will be kept up to date with details of the
forthcoming SEND inspection in due course. Actions
• Pack of key documents for the SEND local area inspection to be shared with the
group (i.e. self evaluation and logistics plan).
4. SEND & Inclusion Change Programme
RC presented the slides with updates and gave further verbal updates regarding the
change programme and projects.
RC mentioned that a separate meeting will be held with PCV regarding the projects.
1) Multi-agency service (Pears): RC and MG gave update on the Pears site and
provision. Good progress was made last year. Now need to move forward with
the business case. MG will be visiting the site next week with TW. ZM stated
that she was really pleased and excited with this work.
DY said that the multi-agency hub is a great idea but expressed a concern about
the location of the Pears site being in the north of the county given the number
of places. There is a lack of provision in the south particularly post 16. Is there
anything on the horizon that will address this? RC stated that the new school is
a separate project, but they are on the same site are in fact separate. RC stated
that the site was limited to the opportunity available, but is in a relatively
central position given the geography of the county.
EH asked if there are any delays on the project or the school and if they are
separate, does this impact on each other? IB confirmed that they are separate
and that the school is planning to open from September 2021. There is further
work to be done on site before it opens. The project is separate and has its own
2) SEND Transport Diagnostic Review: IB gave an update. No questions were
3) Expanding Representation of the Parent Carer Forum: DY gave an update. No
questions were raised.
• RC to hold conversation with Parent Carer Voice regarding plans for the Pears
5. Any Other Business
EH reported that SENDIAS are running a webinar for autism awareness week with the
neurological team. There will also be a SENDIAS webinar for professionals held during
lunchtimes four times a year.
DY asked about raising questions from members of Parent Carer Voice. RC suggested
for DY to stay on after the meeting.
IB thanked everyone for attending and closed the meeting.
Next meeting – Wednesday 26th May 2021 (10.00am – 12.00pm)