Freedom of Information Manager
Room 126 Building 1070
Braintree CM7 4AZ
Telephone: +44 (0)1371 854206
Ms Catherine Moughton
Our Ref: eCase: FOI 2019/05187
Date: 20 May 2019
Dear Ms Moughton,
FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000: MINISTRY OF DEFENCE POLICE: POLICE
We refer to your email dated 1 May 2019 to the Ministry of Defence Police which was
acknowledged on the same date.
We are treating your email as a request for information in accordance with the Freedom of
Information Act 2000 (FOIA 2000).
In your email you requested the following information: “1. The number of sickness days taken by all police officers within your police force
over the latest available calendar year.
2. The number of sickness days taken by all police officers at the rank of constable
within your police force over the latest available calendar year.
3. The number of sickness days taken by all police officers in their probation within
your police force over the latest available calendar year.
4. The time taken for a probationary constable in your force to achieve Independent
Patrol Status (IPS), based on the latest available data.
5. The number of hours that probationary status constables in your force spend on
coached patrol and street duties, based on the latest available data.”
A search for information has now been completed by the Ministry of Defence Police and I
can confirm that we do hold information in scope of your request.
1. In financial year 2018/2019 Police Officers within the Ministry of Defence Police took
25,621 working days of sickness absence.
2. In financial year 2018/2019 Police Constables within the Ministry of Defence Police took
20,060 working days of sickness absence.
3. In financial year 2018/2019 Police Officers within the Ministry of Defence Police within
their first 24 months of employment took 1,752 working days sickness.
This figure relates to probationary constables and any other police officer that has taken
sickness within the first 24 months of their service.
4. No Information held – The Ministry of Defence Police does not have this status for
5. No Information held
If you have any queries regarding the content of this letter, please contact this office in the
If you wish to complain about the handling of your request, or the content of this response,
you can request an independent internal review by contacting the Information Rights
Compliance team, Ground Floor, MOD Main Building, Whitehall, SW1A 2HB (e-mail CIO-
Please note that any request for an internal review should be made within 40 working days
of the date of this response.
If you remain dissatisfied following an internal review, you may raise your complaint directly
to the Information Commissioner under the provisions of Section 50 of the Freedom of
Information Act. Please note that the Information Commissioner will not normally investigate
your case until the MOD internal review process has been completed. The Information
Commissioner can be contacted at: Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House,
Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF. Further details of the role and powers of the
Information Commissioner can be found on the Commissioner's website at
Yours sincerely MDP Secretariat and Freedom of Information Office