This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Universal Credit Work Capability Assessments and letters to GPs telling them the assessment determination'.

Title, Initial, Surname 
  If you call us, please have  
Address Line 1 
the answers to your security 
Address line 2 
questions ready 
Address line 3 
Address line 4 
Telephone: 0800 328 5644 
Textphone: 0800 328 1344 
Your Universal Credit claim 
We need to find out more about your health condition 
We need to find out if your disability, illness or health condition 
How to contact us 
affects your ability to work or carry out work-related activity.  
Use your journal to 
If we decide you aren’t capable of work, we won’t ask you to 
contact us if you have 
search or be available for work. If we also decide you aren’t 
any questions or you 
capable of work-related activity, you’ll get extra money.  
need a large print, Braille 
or audio version. 
What happens next 
You can also call 
The Health Assessment Advisory Service (working for us) will 
0800 328 5644 
send you a questionnaire. You’ll need to fill this in, giving details 
about any physical or mental health conditions you have and 
how they affect you.  
If you don’t return your questionnaire we may not have enough 
information to assess your capability for work. This means you 
may have to do more to receive Universal Credit. This could 
include being available for work, searching for work and 
preparing for work. 
If you need an assessment 
After we’ve received your questionnaire, you might be asked to 
go for a work capability assessment.   
The Health Assessment Advisory Service will contact you to 
arrange an appointment. The person assessing you will want to 
find out how your disability, illness or health condition affects you 
in everyday life. 
Universal Credit is operated by the Department for Work and Pensions 
Page 1 of 3 

It's important you go to your assessment. It helps us decide if 
you can get extra Universal Credit and whether you'll need to 
look for work or do anything to prepare for work. 
After your assessment, we’ll let you know if you’re entitled to any 
extra Universal Credit. 
Select Option
Confirm all dropdown options  
Tell us about any changes 
You must tell us straight away using your journal if there is a 
change in your circumstances. For example, you need to tell us 
if you have a new health condition or your existing health 
condition gets better or worse.  
If you give wrong or incomplete information or you don’t report 
changes straight away you may be paid more or less money 
than you should. You will have to pay back overpaid money 
when told to do so. You could also be prosecuted or need to pay 
a financial penalty. If we pay you less money than we should we 
may pay you this money back including any arrears due. 
More information  
Visit the Health Assessment Advisory Service website at to find out about work capability 
Visit for a video example of an 
Yours sincerely, 
Universal Credit 
Universal Credit is operated by the Department for Work and Pensions 
Page 2 of 3 

If you disagree with a decision 
You can ask us to explain why  
You, or someone who has the authority to act 
for you, can phone us or use your journal to 
request a written explanation. You’ll need to 
do this within one month of the date of this 
You can also ask us to reconsider a 
Tell us if you think we’ve overlooked, or 
you’ve more, information that affects the 
decision. Do this within one month of the 
date on this letter.  
When we’ve looked at what you’ve told us, 
we’ll send you a letter to tell you what we’ve 
decided and why. We call this letter a 
‘Mandatory Reconsideration Notice’. 
When you’ve done this you can appeal 
If you disagree with the Mandatory 
Reconsideration Notice, you can appeal to a 
You must wait for the ‘Mandatory 
Reconsideration Notice’ before you start an 
Equality and Diversity 
We are committed to treating people fairly, 
regardless of their disability, ethnicity, gender, 
sexual orientation, transgender status, marital 
or civil partnership status, age, religion or 
beliefs. Please contact us if you have any 
 How DWP collects and uses information 
We will treat your personal information 
carefully. We may use it for any of our 
purposes. To learn about your information 
rights and how we use information, please see 
our Personal Information Charter at GOV.UK. 
Universal Credit is operated by the Department for Work and Pensions 
Page 3 of 3 

Call charges 
Calls to 0800 numbers are free from landlines 
and mobiles. 
Universal Credit is operated by the Department for Work and Pensions 
Page 4 of 3