This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Universal Credit Work Capability Assessments and letters to GPs telling them the assessment determination'.

If you call us, please have  
the answers to your security 
questions ready. 
Telephone: 0800 328 5644 
Textphone: 0800 328 1344 
Your Universal Credit claim
Work capability assessment decision 
We’ve decided that you are capable of work
How to contact us 
 because you did not 
take part in a work capability assessment. 
Use your journal to 
contact us if you have 
The assessment would have given us information about how your 
any questions. 
health condition or disability affects your ability to work. 
You can also call 
This decision means that to get Universal Credit you’ll need to do 
0800 328 5644 
the things you agreed in your commitments. Depending on your 
circumstances, this could including searching and preparing for 
Your Universal Credit could be reduced if you don’t go to meetings 
with your work coach or do the things listed in your commitment. 
We call this a sanction. 
Your payments 
Unless your circumstances change, you will continue to receive 
the same amount of Universal Credit that you’re currently getting. 
We’ll write to you if your payments are changing. 
How we made this decision 
We wrote to you on            to ask you to take part in a work 
capability assessment on           . You did not do so. 
We contacted you on            using your journal to ask why you 
failed to take part in your assessment. 
Universal Credit is operated by the Department for Work and Pensions 
Page 1 of 3 

We then considered the information available. We decided that 
you did not have a good reason for not attending the appointment. 
What happens next 
We'll contact you using your online journal to review your 
Universal Credit commitments. 
Tell us about any changes 
You must tell us straight away using your journal if there is a 
change in your circumstances. For example, you need to tell us if 
you have a new health condition or your existing health condition 
gets better or worse. 
If you give wrong or incomplete information or you don’t report 
changes straight away you may be paid more or less money than 
you should. You will have to pay back overpaid money when told 
to do so. You could also be prosecuted or need to pay a financial 
penalty. If we pay you less money than we should we may pay 
you this money back including any arrears due. 
Yours sincerely, 
Universal Credit 
Universal Credit is operated by the Department for Work and Pensions 
Page 2 of 3 

If you disagree with a decision 
Call charges 
You can ask us to explain why  
You, or someone who has the authority to act 
Calls to 0800 numbers are free from landlines 
for you, can phone us or use your journal to 
and mobiles. 
request a written explanation. You’ll need to 
do this within one month of the date of this 
You can also ask us to reconsider a 
Tell us if you think we’ve overlooked, or 
you’ve more, information that affects the 
decision. Do this within one month of the 
date on this letter.  
When we’ve looked at what you’ve told us, 
we’ll send you a letter to tell you what we’ve 
decided and why. We call this letter a 
‘Mandatory Reconsideration Notice’. 
When you’ve done this you can appeal 
If you disagree with the Mandatory 
Reconsideration Notice, you can appeal to a 
You must wait for the ‘Mandatory 
Reconsideration Notice’ before you start an 
Equality and Diversity 
We are committed to treating people fairly, 
regardless of their disability, ethnicity, gender, 
sexual orientation, transgender status, marital 
or civil partnership status, age, religion or 
beliefs. Please contact us if you have any 
Find out how we collect and use 


Universal Credit is operated by the Department for Work and Pensions 
Page 3 of 3