This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Charity gift aid claims and tax relief amounts'.



 
 
 
Freedom of Information Team  
 
  
S1715 
 
 
 
 6 Floor 
 
Central Mail Unit 
M. Martin 
 
Newcastle Upon Tyne 
 
NE98 1ZZ 
By email: request-564783-
xxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx.xxx 
 
 
 
 
Email 
xxx.xxxxxxx@xxxx.xxx.xxx.xx 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Web 
www.gov.uk 
  
 
 
  
Date:                15 May 2019 
 
 
 
 Our ref: 
FOI2019/00941 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 Dear M. Martin 
 
Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA) 
 
Thank you for your request, which was received on 17 April, for the following information: 
 
“I accept your amended questions and await your response to those amended questions. 
Please can you provide them.  
 
I can appreciate the logic in most of your responses re time issues however your response 
re point 13 is a little bizarre given that HMRC are not averse to publicising their numerous 
fantastic successes and your response would merely highlight HMRCs overall success. In 
fact in a historical article in 2012 HMRC declared they had detected and foiled several 
hundred fraudulent Gift Aid Claims from Charities totalling more than £10m per annum in 
each of the last two years 2011 and 2012 which was confirmed by the head of HMRC’s 
Charities technical team, readily available through search engines. It is fair to say that 
HMRC refused to publish the details of detections and prosecutions requested, saying that 
to do so would assist the fraudsters’ efforts to cheat the government out of tax receipts. I wil  
accept your decision yet I do personally feel the public interest and confidence in HMRC 
would be better served in continuing to show your robustness in safeguarding public money 
from fraudsters.” 
 
I can confirm that HMRC does hold information within the scope of your request. Please 
note that in order to answer your questions we have extracted the data from the Charity 
database using a data query tool. We are confident that the results are accurate.   
 
1.  There were 172,024 Charities registered with HMRC as of 10 May 2019. 
 
2.  The average timescale for a Gift Aid payment is between 5 and 6 working days. 
 
3.  HM Revenue & Customs received 413,674 Gift Aid Claims in 2018 (calendar year). 
 
4.  98.8% of Gift Aid applications are made online, the remaining 1.2% of applications are 
submitted on paper using Form ChR1. 
 
 
 
Information is available in large print, audio and Braille formats. 
Text Relay service prefix number – 18001  
 
 
 
 

 
 
5.  Number of successful Gift Aid Claims, per calendar year.  
 
2016 
72,409 
2017 
72,853 
2018 
74,049 
 
 
6.  The 10 largest individual Gift Aid Claims in the 2018 calendar year.  
 
£7,834,317.50 
£6,830,000.00 
£5,000,000.00 
£4,500,000.00 
£4,225,000.00 
£3,750,000.00 
£3,657,061.62 
£3,457,633.02 
£3,412,736.33 
£3,250,000.00 
 
7.  The 10 largest Gift Aid Claims for non-UK Charities in the 2018 calendar year. 
 
£ 402,935.65 
£ 311,965.64 
£ 173,176.78 
£ 165,065.31 
£ 163,965.19 
£ 149,723.79 
£ 149,334.53 
£ 124,083.68 
£ 95,710.61 
£ 88,964.78 
 
 
If you are not satisfied with this reply you may request a review within two months by 
emailing xxx.xxxxxx@xxxx.xxx.xxx.xx, or by writing to the address at the top right-hand side 
of this letter.    
 
If you are not content with the outcome of an internal review you can complain to the 
Information Commissioner’s Office 
 
 
Yours sincerely, 
 
Freedom of Information Team