This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Remedy for the Confiscation of the gold and silver backing currency'.

Mr Jason Greco 
Information Access Team 
Via email to: 
Communications Directorate 
020 3461 4878 
020 3461 5460 
19 February 2019 
Please quote ref. CAS-04741-DB16Y4 on all 
Dear Mr Greco 
Thank you for your email of 27 January in which you ask the following under the Freedom of Information 
Act 2000 (‘FoI Act’) relating to the ‘Gold standard act and the Bretton woods agreement’
‘What remedy was put into place after the confiscation of gold and silver that backed our 
currency/bank notes’  

May I first explain that the FoI Act provides a general right of access to recorded information held by a 
public authority.  It does not require a public authority to answer general questions on a subject as is the 
case in this instance.  However, in order to be helpful I have provided a response to your question and 
also a link to information on our website which you may find of interest. 
I have assumed that your question is about what happened when Britain left the gold standard and what 
now backs the Bank of England’s (the ‘Bank’s’) banknotes.  
Since its foundation in 1694 the Bank has issued notes promising to pay the bearer a sum of money.  For 
much of its history the promise could be made good by the Bank paying out gold in exchange for its notes.  
The link with gold helped to maintain the value of the notes, although the link was sometimes suspended, 
for example in wartime.  The link with gold was finally broken in 1931 and since that time there has been 
no other asset into which holders have the right to convert Bank of England notes.  They can only be 
exchanged for other Bank of England notes.  Nowadays public faith in the pound is maintained in a 
different way - through the Bank of England's operation of monetary policy, the object of which, by statute, 
is price stability.  
You will find information on the framework for the operation of monetary policy and the remit for price 
stability on our website at: 
The Bretton Woods system agreement to which you refer was effectively brought to an end in August 
1971 when the United States unilaterally terminated convertibility of the US dollar to gold.  At the same 
time many fixed currencies (such as the pound sterling) also became free-floating. 
Yours sincerely 
Jackie Walmsley 
Information Access Team 
Your right to complain under the FoI Act 
If you are unhappy with the Bank’s response, you may ask for that decision to be reviewed internally. Please note that this will be 
subject to the Bank having received your submission within two months of the date of this response.  In order to submit an internal 
Bank of England, Threadneedle Street, London EC2R 8AH T +44 (0) 20 3461 4444 


review, please set out the grounds for your appeal and send it to Wendy Galvin, Information Access Team (TS-Mz), Communications 
Directorate, Bank of England, Threadneedle Street, London, EC2R 8AH or by email to xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx.xx.xx for the 
attention of Wendy Galvin. 
If you are not content with the outcome of the internal review, you have the right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner for 
a decision. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at The Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, 
Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF.  
Privacy notice 
When you contact us, the Bank collects information about you.  This includes your name, contact details and anything you choose to 
disclose in your correspondence. 
We collect your personal data to assess your request and prepare our response to you.  Our basis to process this data is that it is 
necessary for us to satisfy a legal obligation.   
We will keep your personal data for 10 years. You can request that we no longer use your personal data, by contacting us via the 
website link below. 
You have a number of rights under data protection laws, for example you have the right to ask us for a copy of the personal data the 
Bank holds about you. This is known as a ‘Subject Access Request’. You can ask us to change how we process or deal with your 
personal data, and you may also have the right in some circumstances to have your personal data amended or deleted. To find out 
more about those rights, to make a complaint, or to contact our Data Protection Officer, please see our website at