This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Request for JSP 800 and associated documents relating to UK Rail Travel and First Class Exemptions'.

Joint Forces Command 
Northwood Headquarters 
HA6 3HP 
United Kingdom 
Ref: FOI2018/14501 
Mr R Coton 
28 November 18 
Dear Mr Coton 
You originally wrote through the What Do They Know website on 1 October requesting information, 
which we treated as a request under the Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2000, and was given 
the reference FOI2018/12193. We responded with a request for clarification on 29 October. You 
replied to us on 30 October, where you provided the following clarification: 
"In response to this request for clarification, I would like to state that I am interested in the first-
class rail policy of the MOD on both the civilian and military side. For the purposes of this request, I 
would like answers to the questions posed from both a MOD civil servant and service individual 
perspective, highlighting similarities and differences, but with an emphasis and focus on the Royal 
Air Force Air Cadets.  
With the latter in mind, are junior officers (APO to Flt Lt RAFAC), NCOs and Civilian Instructors 
allowed to request and/or exercise an exemption to the standard class rail policy to utilise first 
class travel where it would otherwise not be permitted, if the justification for doing so would be a 
reasonable adjustment for a declared disability? I would like details of any such exemption that 
does exist and details of the surrounding process of exercising it. 
For example, if a Civilian Instructor on an Air Cadet Squadron in Warwickshire & Birmingham Wing 
was seeking a commission and must undertake rail travel to RAF Cranwell to attend an Officer 
Aircrew and Selection Centre date. If the individual had a disability that would cause unreasonable 
anxiety and/or distress for undertaking a long-distance journey such as this, could they request first 
class travel to mitigate at least in part this anxiety/distress and would the MOD classify this as a 
reasonable adjustment. Would they approach their Commanding Officer (usually Flt Lt) or would a 
higher authority be required (e.g. WSO, Wg Ex O, Wg Cdr)? Would the MOD give due regard if this 
adjustment has been made before for this individual in employment? 
If the CO of the Sqn would support this case but the Wg would not, how would the individual 
dispute and/or escalate this? I am interested in the whole process if possible. 
Whilst researching this topic, I found that JSP 752 (v36 Oct 18) is available online 
VjkycW8talT31d5k1lsZUH4%3D&reserved=0) and it states under Chapter 6 Section 8 – Rail 
Travel that:  

"06.0803. Rail Travel in the UK. For guidance on Rail Travel in the UK, refer to JSP 800, Volume 2, 
(Defence Movements and Transportation Regulations) Part 4, which is the regulations governing 
all aspects of passenger travel by rail. This includes entitlement to class of travel, the use of 
Service arranged tickets and railcards, underground travel and troop movements (but see 
paragraph 06.0807 for additional conditions concerning classes of travel)." 
Rail Travel and/or Eurostar in the UK and the RoI. 
06.0807. Class of Travel. The class of rail and/or ferry travel to be used by Service personnel, 
immediate family or other entitled personnel is laid down in JSP 800." 
both refer to JSP 800, for which the only copy I can find publicly is a version in 2010 
Q5Sh2ukmYDSVroQDGpVid0%3D&reserved=0) but this does not mention reasonable 
adjustments or medical exemptions of any kind.  
I therefore restate that I would like a full, unredacted and up-to-date copy of JSP 800, or if this is 
not possible, copies of the relevant sections to this request, along with a written narrative or 
graphical diagram detailing what the MOD would classify as falling under any medical exemption 
such as a reasonable adjustment and how an individual would request such an exemption. Would 
it be done using a rail warrant issued by Wg? would they have to purchase their own tickets and 
claim it back? If the individual had a railcard (e.g. 16-25/Disabled/Senior etc.) would the procedure 
be any different?

This reply has been allocated the reference FOI2018/14501
Thank you for providing clarification on your request. A search for the information has now been 
completed within the Ministry of Defence, and I can confirm that the information in scope of your 
request is held and can be found below. 
A full copy of JSP 800 is enclosed with this letter (Volumes 2-3, 5-7. Volumes 1 and 4 are no 
longer in existence as they have superseded by alternative policy documents). A copy of the MOD 
Business Travel Guide, which provides travel policy for MOD civil servants, is also enclosed. 
Both JSP 800 (Volume 2, Part 4, Chapter 1, Para 9) and the Business Travel Guide (Page 15) 
state that the default class of public transport for all staff is Economy Class; only in exceptional 
circumstances can the class be upgraded, including on disability/medical grounds. 
JSP 800 does not provide clarification of specific exemptions. The MOD Business Travel Guide 
states (Page 28): 
"If you are disabled, special consideration to your needs may be given, and more expensive forms 
of travel may be used where the disability makes it necessary.

Dispensations or exemptions to policy, as highlighted in the JSP 800 (Volume 2 preface, Para 12), 
would need to be sought through the Delivery Duty Holder, or through line management to the 
Movements Authority (for dispensations and exemptions respectively). They would decide whether 
to permit such dispensation or exemption and advise on how this should be applied. 
If you are not satisfied with this response or you wish to complain about any aspect of the handling 
of your request, then you should contact us in the first instance at the address above. If informal 
resolution is not possible and you are still dissatisfied then you may apply for an independent 
internal review by contacting the Information Rights Compliance team, Ground Floor, MOD Main 

Building, Whitehall, SW1A 2HB (e-mail Please note that any request for 
an internal review must be made within 40 working days of the date on which the attempt to reach 
informal resolution has come to an end.  
If you remain dissatisfied following an internal review, you may take your complaint to the 
Information Commissioner under the provisions of Section 50 of the Freedom of Information Act. 
Please note that the Information Commissioner will not normally investigate your case until the 
MOD internal review process has been completed. Further details of the role and powers of the 
Information Commissioner can be found on the Commissioner's website, 
Yours sincerely, 
Joint Forces Command