This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Information about licences given to grow Hemp in the UK'.

Crime, Policing and Fire Group  Tel: 020 7035 4848 
2 Marsham Street 
Fax: 020 7035 4745  
Mr Paul Powlesland 
17 October 2018 
Dear Mr Powlesland 
Freedom of Information request reference: 50187 
Thank you for your e-mail of 12 September 2018, in which you ask; 
1.  How many acres/hectares of Low THC cannabis (Hemp) were grown in the UK 
under Home Office licence in the years 2017 and 2018 
2.  How many Low THC cannabis (hemp) growing licences were awarded by the Home 
Office in the years 2017 and 2018 
3.  What percentage of the Low THC cannabis (hemp) grown under licence is used for: 
a.   fibre,  
b.  seed  
c.  leaf/flower. 
Your request is being handled as a request for information under the Freedom of 
Information Act 2000. I am sorry for the delay in responding to your request. 
Firstly, I would like to clarify that cultivation of all varieties of the genus Cannabis can only 
lawfully occur in the UK under licence issued in accordance with Regulations 5 and 12 of 
the Misuse of Drugs Regulations (MDR) 2001 and licences are issued under these 
provisions.. The genus Cannabis contains tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) which is the 
psychoactive component within the plant which is subject to control, in addition to the 
‘parts’ of the plant named by the Act. 
Cultivation of cannabis can only take place under Home Office licence issued in 
accordance with the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971; this licensing requirement applies 
irrespective of the THC content of the plant. 
A licence is required to cover both cultivation and possession. The genus Cannabis is a 
controlled drug in Class B of The Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (MDA and Schedule 1 of the 
Misuse of Drugs Regulations 2001). Under these Regulations, a licence may be issued 
authorising cultivation.  

The Misuse of Drugs (Designation) Order 2001 restricts the licit use of cannabis to 
possession for research (High THC) or “other special purposes”. Low THC cannabis grown 
for the commercial production of industrial hemp fibre or the pressing of seed for oil is an 
“other special purpose” within the meaning of Section 7(4)(a) of the MDA.  
Licenses for the cultivation of low THC Cannabis (industrial hemp) are granted to enable 
the use of non-controlled parts of the plant (i.e. seeds and fibre/ stalk only). There needs to 
be a defined commercial end use and the Home Office only licences plants grown from 
approved seed types with a THC content not exceeding 0.2%. The licenses are generally 
issued for a validity period of three growing seasons.  
I am able to disclose some of the information that you requested, as follows, and will 
respond to your questions in turn. 
In respects to question 1, we hold the information which you have requested in a 
disaggregated format from which we would have to manually extract the information for 
each case, before then considering whether any exemptions to disclosure existed. 
Therefore we have concluded that this element of your request is exempt from disclosure 
under Section 12 of the FOIA.  
Under Section 12 of the FOIA, the Home Office is not obliged to comply with an 
information request where to do so would exceed the cost limit. After careful consideration 
we have estimated that the cost of meeting your request would exceed the cost limit of 
£600 specified in the Freedom of Information and Data Protection (Appropriate Limit and 
Fees) Regulations 2004. The £600 limit is based on work being carried out at a rate of £25 
per hour, which equates to 24 hours of work per request. The cost of locating, retrieving 
and extracting information can be included in the costs for these purposes.  The costs do 
not include considering whether any information is exempt from disclosure, overheads 
such as heating or lighting, or items such as photocopying or postage. 
Turning to question 2, I am able to disclose the number of Low THC (industrial hemp) 
licences granted in 2017 and 2018 to date is as follows; 
Low THC Cannabis 
cultivation licence 

In regards to question 3 a and b, the Home Office does not hold information on the 
percentage of the Low THC cannabis (hemp) grown under licence that is used for fibre 
and seed.  
Finally, with regards to question 3 c, as outlined above, the Home Office policy does not 
allow the use of the controlled parts (leaves and flowers), of the cannabis plant and 
therefore a Home Office licensed ‘hemp’ grower could not lawfully use the ‘green’ material 
(i.e. leaves and flowers). 
If you are dissatisfied with this response you may request an independent internal review 
of our handling of your request by submitting a complaint within two months to, quoting reference 50187. If you ask for an internal 
review, it would be helpful if you could say why you are dissatisfied with the response.  
As part of any internal review the Department's handling of your information request would 
be reassessed by staff who were not involved in providing you with this response. If you 

were to remain dissatisfied after an internal review, you would have a right of complaint to 
the Information Commissioner as established by section 50 of the FOIA.  
Yours sincerely 
Drugs and Firearms Licensing Unit