This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Problem gambling'.

27 August 2018 
The University of Edinburgh 
File ref:  T3/30/13 
Old College 
South Bridge 
Edinburgh EH8 9YL 
Ms Gurpreet Narwan 
Direct Dial  0131 651 4099 
Sent by email: request-507392-
Switchboard  0131 650 1000 
Email  xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xx.xx.xx 
Dear Ms Narwan 
Freedom of information request 
Thank you for your email of 6 August 2018 requesting information about students 
seeking support for problem gambling.  
The University of Edinburgh is a global university, rooted in Scotland.  We are globally 
recognised for our research, development and innovation and we have provided world-
class teaching to our students for more than 425 years.  We are the largest university in 
Scotland and in 2016/17 our annual revenue was £929 million, of which £265 million was 
research income.  We have over 39,000 students and over 9,700 full-time equivalent 
staff.  We are a founding member of the UK’s Russell Group of leading research 
universities and a member of the League of European Research Universities. 
Problem gambling: support measures 
You asked what measures the University has in place to support students who seek help 
with problem gambling.  The University is committed to providing a positive academic 
experience and equality of opportunity for all students, and encourages those 
encountering any difficulties to make these known to the University.  The University 
operates a devolved management structure comprising three academic colleges, 
subdivided into twenty-two schools, and three support groups, subdivided into some 
seventy support services.  Centrally provided health and wellbeing services for students 
are described on our ‘Health and wellbeing’ webpages at
  I have described the support services most likely to be relevant your 
request below. 
Colleges, Schools, Personal Tutors and Student Support Teams 
The University operates a framework of academic and pastoral support for students 
comprising a blend of localised provision within schools and colleges, the Personal Tutor 
System, and student support services.  Personal tutors (PTs) assist and encourage 
students in their academic studies and help students to feel part of a community of 
learners.  One of the main responsibilities of student support teams (SSTs) is to provide 
appropriate information to students, which can include directing students to local and 
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in Scotland, with registration number SC005336 

central support services.  Academic and pastoral support within a school or college is 
provided to all its students.  Each school informs their students about the academic and 
pastoral support available to them and how to access it.  Schools identify when and 
where the need for targeted support may be at its most acute and concentrate provision 
accordingly.  Please note that support provided by the University is intended to 
supplement and enhance, rather than replace or duplicate, NHS provision.  More 
information about the Personal Tutor System and student support teams is published at  
The Advice Place 
The Edinburgh University Students' Association's Advice Place offers students free, 
impartial and confidential information delivered by a professional advice team.  The 
Students’ Association is a separate legal entity from the University of Edinburgh, and is 
not a ‘Scottish public authority’ as defined by the Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 
2002.  This means that the University is unable to answer requests for information held 
by the Students’ Association, and the Students’ Association itself is not subject to the 
legislation.  If you are seeking information from the Students’ Association, or wish to read 
more about the Advice Place, contact details and information are available online at 
The University’s Chaplaincy provides pastoral and spiritual support for students and staff 
of all faiths and none.  Support includes the provision of mindfulness meditation sessions, 
tai chi classes, various religious services and prayer sessions, opportunities for individual 
meetings with chaplains, and discussions and events.  Further information about the 
services offered by the Chaplaincy is published on the University website at 
University Counselling Service 
The University Counselling Service provides free confidential professional counselling 
service to staff and all matriculated students of the University of Edinburgh.  The Service 
also seeks to enhance and encourage the emotional well-being and mental health of 
University of Edinburgh students and those who support them.  The Service seeks to 
reach this objective by facilitating personal development and psychoeducational groups 
and workshops for students; encouraging students to support themselves through the 
Bibliotherapy Scheme and other online resources; offering advice and support to 
academic staff concerned for the mental and emotional well-being of their students; and 
contributing to training and development programmes organised for staff and students by 
other departments of the University.  The University has signed up to the Big White Wall 
initiative which allows University of Edinburgh students free access to 24 hour 
psychological support online:
  The Service offers some form of help to all students who approach them.  The 
nature of the help depends on the outcome of the initial appointment between student 
and counsellor.   
Students seeking support with problem gambling are offered an initial assessment with a 
counsellor, who assesses the student’s needs and decides on the appropriate support for 
that student.  This may be in the form of brief therapy, such as Cognitive Behavioural 
Therapy (CBT), which the NHS recommends as an appropriate treatment for problem 


gambling.  Students can also access CBT through the NHS in Edinburgh.  Individual 
students may be signposted to other forms of support, for example Big White Wall,  or to 
specific supports including GamCare, Gambling Therapy, and Gamblers Anonymous 
Scotland, which holds a weekly support group near the University’s central campus.  
Further information about these supports is available at,, and  Further 
information about the services offered by the University Counselling Service is available 
on the University website at
The University Counselling Service is an organisational member of the British 
Association for Counselling and Psychotherapy (BACP).  This is the leading professional 
body for counsellors and psychotherapists in the United Kingdom, with approximately 
44,000 members.  Since 2006 the Service has had Accredited Service status awarded by 
the BACP.  The BACP Service Accreditation Scheme provides status and validation for 
the accredited service, and also provides robust evidence of service quality and 
professionalism.  In addition, accredited services are bound by the BACP Ethical 
Framework for the Counselling Professions.  All BACP Accredited Services have 
demonstrated a high quality of service delivery, meeting benchmark standards that are 
maintained by annual monitoring and reporting. 
The University Counselling Service also provides training for Personal Tutors, Student 
Support Officers, other academic staff as well as welfare staff in the Students' 
Association aimed at helping staff support and refer students who have mental and 
emotional health problems.  Accommodation Services has a Residence Life Team who 
will support students living in University Managed Accommodation and link them with 
other University services as appropriate.  All staff are made aware of the 'Helping 
Distressed Students' guide which is available on the University's website to aid staff in 
dealing with students in distress or crisis at
Problem gambling: numbers seeking support 
You also asked for the number of times the University was contacted by students seeking 
support or advice for gambling in each year from 2013/14 to 2017/18, by gender.  In this 
period problem gambling was recorded as the primary presenting issue of three male 
students who contacted the University Counselling Service for help. 
I am unable to provide the annual breakdown you requested because disclosing these 
low numbers could enable individuals to be identified.  Disclosing this information would 
be likely to breach data protection principles.  The Freedom of Information (Scotland) Act 
2002 does not require us to provide this sort of information as it is exempt under section 
Right to review 
If you are dissatisfied with this response, you may ask the University to conduct a review 
of this decision by contacting the University's Records Management Section 
( in writing (e.g. by letter or email) or 
in some other recorded form (e.g. audio or video tape).  You should describe the original 
request, explain your grounds for dissatisfaction, and include an address for 


correspondence.  You have 40 working days from receipt of this letter to submit a review 
request.  When the review process has been completed, if you are still dissatisfied, you 
may appeal to the Scottish Information Commissioner using the guidance at  If you do not have access to the Internet, please 
let me know and I will provide a copy of the relevant web pages. 
Privacy notice 
The University of Edinburgh's privacy notice, which describes how we use the information 
you have supplied about yourself and your request, is available on-line at 
Yours sincerely  
Eleanor Rideout 
Information Compliance Officer 
If you require this letter in an alternative format, such as large print or 
a coloured background, please contact the Records Management 
Section on 0131 651 4099 or email xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx@xx.xx.xx 


Document Outline