This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Military Provost Guard Service'.

  Headquarters Land Forces 
Land Forces Secretariat  
IDL 24 
Marlborough Lines 
Monxton Road  
SP11 8HJ 

E-mail: [email address] 
John Randall 
Our Reference: HQLF/Sec/10/04/64058 
Via e-mail 
[email address] 
Date:                17 November 2010             
Dear Mr Randall,  
Thank you your e-mail dated 27 October requesting the following: 
Can you please supply me with the number of home office police forces that have signed an 
agreement to allow members of the military provost guard service the authority to travel on UK 
public roads with firearms, and what legal statue covers such authority?  
Your correspondence has been considered to be a request for information in accordance with the 
Freedom of Information (FOI) Act 2000. I have been asked to reply. 
The carrying of arms on public highways is not something the Ministry of Defence takes lightly; 
there are strict procedures in place for this requirement which must be adhered to prior to any 
movement being carried out.  
There are 26 Police Constabularies that currently have a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) 
with the Military Provost Guard Service. Each MOU is a formal agreement that is staffed through 
the military chain of command and the Home Office with final agreement coming from the local 
Chief Constable who holds the legal authority for carrying firearms on UK roads.  
If you are not satisfied with this response or you wish to complain about any aspect of the handling 
of your request, then you should contact me in the first instance. If informal resolution is not 
possible and you are still dissatisfied then you may apply for an independent internal review by 
contacting the Head of Corporate Information, 2nd Floor, MOD Main Building, Whitehall, SW1A 2HB 
(e-mail  [email address]). Please note that any request for an internal review must be made 
within 40 working days of the date on which the attempt to reach informal resolution has come to 
an end. 
If you remain dissatisfied following an internal review, you may take your complaint to the 
Information Commissioner under the provisions of Section 50 of the Freedom of Information Act. 
Please note that the Information Commissioner will not investigate your case until the MOD internal 
review process has been completed. Further details of the role and powers of the Information 
Commissioner can be found on the Commissioner's website,
Yours sincerely 
Emma Young 
LF Sec 
Information Support Officer