This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'FCO private school fees'.

Human Resources Directorate 
Room 2/136 
Old Admiralty Building 
London SW1A 2PA 
Tel: 020 7008  
Fax: 020 7008 
John Smith 
By e-mail to:  
10 November 2010 
Dear Mr Smith, 
Thank you for your email of 13 October asking for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office 
(FCO) to release the following information: 
in 2009 how much did the F&CO pay in private school fees for children of their 
I am writing to confirm that we have now completed the search for the information which you 
requested.  I can confirm that the FCO does hold information relevant to your request.  
It is a condition of their employment that members of the diplomatic service must be 
prepared to serve anywhere in the world at any time during their career, sometimes at very 
short notice. Those with children have a legal obligation as parents to ensure that their 
children receive a full-time education from the age of five years. Most parents prefer to take 
their children with them abroad, but in some countries we do not permit staff to take their 
children either for health or security reasons. In others, local schools of an acceptable 
standard are not available. It is longstanding practice that the Foreign and Commonwealth 
Office (FCO) helps staff meet their potentially conflicting obligations by providing financial 
support for their children's education in the UK where staff choose this, or are obliged to do 
so given local conditions in the country to which they are posted. Continuity of education is 
also an important factor, particularly at secondary level.  
The FCO refunds standard term fees up to a ceiling which is reviewed annually. Staff 
choosing a more expensive school must pay the difference in cost themselves. The 
maximum amount the FCO will pay is determined by an independent survey conducted by 
ECA International, which is used by public and private sector employers whose staff work 
across the world.  Various factors, including availability of places (sometimes at short notice) 
and proximity of other family members, influence which schools staff choose for their 

The ceiling on the amount parents can claim towards boarding schools is reviewed annually 
and was reduced in September 2010. The FCO accounts for expenditure in financial years. 
In the 2009-10 financial year the FCO spent £13.3 million on children educated in the UK 
and £11.5 million on children at schools overseas.  
In keeping with the spirit and effect of the Freedom of Information Act, all information is 
assumed to be releasable to the public unless it is exempt.  The information we have 
supplied to you may now be published on our website together with any related information 
that will provide a key to its wider context. 
I hope you are satisfied with this reply.  However, if you wish to make a complaint or if you 
would like a review of our decision, please write to the Information Rights Team at The Old 
Admiralty Building, Room SG 120, London, SW1A 2PA.  E-mail:  
You have 40 working days to do so from the date of this letter. 
If you are not content with the outcome of your complaint, you may then apply directly to the 
Information Commissioner for a decision.  Generally, the Information Commissioner cannot 
make a decision unless you have exhausted the complaints procedure provided by the FCO. 
The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: Information Commissioner's Office, 
Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF.   
We continually strive to improve our service, so we would welcome your feedback and 
comments.  If you would like to provide feedback, please email our Information Rights Team 
You can also find out more about the FCO and freedom of information issues at our Access 
to Information website: 
Yours sincerely, 
Andrew Kirkpatrick 
Andrew Kirkpatrick 
Open Government Liaison Officer 
Human Resources Directorate  
We keep and use information in line with the Data Protection Act 1998.  We may release this personal information to other UK 
government departments and public authorities.