This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'What information will the Department submit to the WHO in response to its request concerning cannabis and cannabis-related substances?'.

Freedom of Information Team  
Department of Health and Social Care  
39 Victoria Street 
London SW1H 0EU 
Mr Peter Reynolds           
10 May 2018 
Dear Mr Reynolds, 
Freedom of Information Request Reference FOI-1128165 
Thank you for your request dated 12 April 2018, in which you asked the Department of 
Health and Social Care (DHSC): 
Re: World Health Organization ref:  C.L.2.2018 
 The 40th Expert Committee on Drug Dependence (ECDD) of the WHO will meet in Geneva 
from 4 to 8 June 2018 in a special session to review cannabis and cannabis-related 
substances on their potential to cause dependence, abuse and harm to health, and potential 
therapeutic applications. 
 The WHO Executive Board requires the Secretariat to request relevant information from 
Ministers of Health in Member States to prepare a report for submission to the ECDD. For 
this purpose, a questionnaire was designed to gather information on the legitimate use, 
harmful use, status of national control and potential impact of international control for each 
substance under evaluation. 
 The substances concened are: cannabis plant and resin; extracts and tinctures of cannabis; 
delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol (THC); stereoisomers of THC; and cannabidiol (CBD). 
 1.  What information will the Department submit in response to this request? 
 2. What efforts have been made by the Department to gather information from interested 
and expert parties to contribute to its submission? 
 3. Note that the US FDA has invited publc contributions, will the Department do the same 
from the British public and if not, why not?” 
Your request has been handled under the Freedom of Information Act. 
DHSC does not hold the information you requested. The Department is not participating in 
the 40th Expert Committee on Drug Dependence. 

If you are not satisfied with the handling of your request, you have the right to appeal by 
asking for an internal review. This should be submitted within two months of the date of 
receipt of the response to your original letter and should be addressed to the address at the 
top of this letter, or the email address at the end of this letter. 
Please remember to quote the reference number above in any future communications. 
If you are not content with the outcome of your internal review, you may complain directly to 
the Information Commissioner (ICO) who may decide to investigate your concerns. 
Generally, the ICO cannot make a decision unless you have already appealed our original 
response, and received our internal review response. The ICO will not usually investigate 
concerns where there has been an undue delay in bringing it to their attention. You should 
raise your concerns with them within three months of your last meaningful contact with us. 
The ICO can be contacted at:  
The Information Commissioner's Office  
Wycliffe House 
Water Lane  
Wilmslow SK9 5AF 
Yours sincerely, 
Charlene Carter 
Freedom of Information Officer