This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Educational Concerns'.


Elective Home Education  
Guidance Notes for Parents  

Reviewed April 2017 


St. Helens Council 
People’s Services 
The intention of these guidance notes is to help you understand what may be 
involved if you are thinking about, or have decided to educate your child at home and 
out of the school system. 
The information relates to the legal position of parents/carers taking on this 
responsibility in addition to the duties of the Local Authority who must ensure that 
children educated at home receive an education suitable to the age, ability and 
aptitude of the child. 
Elective Home Education is where parents/carers decide to provide education for 
their children at home instead of sending them to school. 
It is NOT home tuition provided by a Local Authority or where the Local Authority 
provides education otherwise than at school. 
This means that parents/carers assume financial responsibility for their child’s 
education; including the cost of public examinations and that the child must continue 
to receive suitable education until the end of “compulsory education” (ie the last 
Friday in June in the Academic Year in which the child reaches age 16). 
Parents/Carers are advised NOT to educate their children outside the school system 
in the following circumstances: 
1.  as a response to short-term disagreements with the Head Teacher or others at 
the school, the problem should be talked through with the Head Teacher; 
2.  as a solution to when a child has not been attending school on time or regularly. 
It may be even more difficult to provide full-time education for the child at home; 
3.  as a final or once and for all decision. It may be possible to manage education at 
home at primary level but the situation can be very difficult at 16 and when there 
is a need to study for GCSE, especially in subjects that have a major practical 
If parents/carers do decide to educate their child at home, they are accepting full 
responsibility for their education. 
Therefore before making a decision to educate at home parents/carers should: 
1.  Consider all the issues very seriously. It is a great responsibility and a 
considerable commitment of time and energy; 
2.  plan what is intended to do with the child before making a decision; 
3.  consider the costs involved; 

4.  be aware that the child may miss the social side of school, contact with other 
children, joint school activities and the impetus which comes from seeing other 
children’s work; 
5.  be aware that the Local Authority’s role is simply to monitor the suitability of the 
education provided. There are no Local Authority grants available to help with 
education at home, costs of materials, equipment, examination fees etc will be 
borne by parent/carers. 
Does my child have to go to school? 
By law, all children of compulsory school age (aged 5 to 16) must receive a suitable 
education. Parents/carers are responsible for making sure this happens, either by 
registering the child at a school or by arranging an effective alternative to school. 
What is a parent’s duty? 
The responsibility of parents/carers is clearly established in Section 7 of the 
Education Act 1996 which provides that: 
The parent of every child of compulsory school age shall cause him/her to receive 
efficient full-time education suitable: 
1.  to his/her ability and aptitude, and 
2.  to any special educational needs he may have, either by regular attendance at 
school or otherwise. 
Can you explain what this means? 
Compulsory school age: 
All children who are 16 on or after 1st September in Year 11 may leave on the last 
Friday of the following June. 
At the other end of the spectrum, children must be educated from the age of five, 
although parents/carers cannot be required either to admit the child to a school or 
educate otherwise until the beginning of the term after their fifth birthday. 
Efficient suitable education: 
An “efficient” and “suitable” education is not defined in the Education Act 1996 but 
“efficient” has been broadly described as an education that “achieves that which it 
sets out to achieve”, and a “suitable” education is one that “primarily equips a child 
for life within the community of which he is a member, rather than the way of life in 
the country as a whole, as long as it does not foreclose the child’s options in later 
years to adopt some other form of life if he wishes to do so.” 
It is recognised that there are many approaches to educational provision and what is 
suitable for one child may not be for another. 
There is no legal definition of “full-time” education. In providing full-time education 
Local Authorities look to DfES Circulars 7/90 and 11/99 as to the number of hours 

recommended for pupils at each Key Stage (KS). Neither Circular imposes any 
statutory requirements on LAs, but provides guidance only. 
The recommended minimum hours per week of taught time are as follows: 
Age   5-7    KS1 (Years 1-2)                         : 21 hours 
Age   7-11  KS2 (Years 3-6)                         : 23.5 hours 
Age 11-15  KS3 (Years 7-9)/KS4 (Year 10) : 24 hours 
Age 16       KS4 (Year 11)                            : 25 hours 
Children in state maintained schools attend for 380 sessions (190 days) in an 
academic year. 
Regular attendance at school: 
If a child is registered on a school roll they must attend regularly or their 
parents/carers, subject to certain defences, are guilty of an offence. 
Or otherwise: 
This is not defined in law but would include being taught at home by parents/carers 
including the use of correspondence courses or by private tutors. 
Special educational needs: 
Children with special educational needs (SEN) are defined as having a learning 
difficulty that calls for special educational provision to be made for them. 
A learning difficulty is defined with regard to children over 5 as: 
1.  a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of his/her 
2.  a disability that either prevents or hinders a child from making use of educational 
facilities of a king generally provided for children at his/her age in schools within 
the area of the Local Authority. 
Parents/carers’ right to educate their child at home applies equal y when a child has 
special educational needs. Some children with special educational needs have an 
EHCP but others do not. 
When a child has an EHCP and is educated at home, it remains the Local Authority’s 
duty to ensure that the child’s needs are being met. 
The EHCP remains in force and the Local Authority must ensure that parents/carers 
are able to make suitable provision including provision for the child’s SEN. 
If the parent/carer’s arrangements are suitable, the Local Authority is relieved of its 
duty to arrange the provision specified in the EHCP. However if the provision 
provided by parents/carers is failing to meet the child’s needs and they are not 
therefore making “suitable arrangements” and the Local Authority could not conclude 
that they were absolved of their responsibility to arrange the provision in the EHCP. 
If the Local Authority is satisfied with the provision being made it remains under a 
duty to maintain the EHCP and review it annually following procedures set out in the 
SEN Code of Practice. 
Where the Local Authority is satisfied that suitable arrangements are in place it does 
not have to name a school in the statement though it should state the type of school 

it considers appropriate and then go onto state that “parents have made their own 
arrangements under Section 7 of the Education Act 1996.” 
How do I go about it ? 
Where the child is registered at a school, parents/carers have a responsibility to 
inform the school in writing that they are withdrawing their child in order to educate 
at home. 
Parents/carers are not legally obliged to notify the Local Authority of their intentions. 
However it is recommended that they do so as soon as possible in order to avoid 
unsettling the child unnecessarily and to ensure that support and advice can be 
offered as required or as requested. 
How does the Local Authority propose to make sure that the provision is 
After informing the Local Authority of you intention to educate at home, an Education 
Welfare Officer, will contact you to arrange a convenient time to visit and discuss the 
arrangements you are making for your child’s education. 
The Local Authority have two advisors one for primary and one for secondary pupils, 
you will be contacted by an Advisor and offered a visit to discuss with you the 
proposed programme of work, it will need to be detailed but it is not intended to be 
frightening in any way and the Local Authority does have a duty to ensure that 
evidence is provided. 
A report will be written up after the visit and a copy sent to you, any comments you 
make will be kept on file by the Local Authority. 
You need to be aware that the Advisor will be unable to direct the learning taking 
place nor can they or the Local Authority accept any responsibility for the educational 
success or otherwise of your child. 
If you decide to educate at home it is your responsibility to plan your child’s education 
and to carry it out. 
What kind of evidence will be helpful to the Advisor? 
A written programme of work will be a starting point for discussion and examples of 
you child’s work wil  be a useful indication of progress as well as the current position. 
The type of question the Advisor may ask could include the following: 
  How are you planning to ensure that your child receives a broad balanced 
  Have you a programme of work for the whole of the year? How does this relate to 
what you have planned in the near future? 
  Have you thought how subject topics might link together? 
  Have you planned a variety of work so that your child does practical work as well 
as written tasks? 
  Who or what will you use to assist you? 

  In what ways will you record your child’s progress or difficulties? 
  How will you determine how successful you are? 
You should try to arrange the programme so that access to Further / Higher 
Education would be possible and that a wide range of career opportunities would be 
How should I organize the teaching and learning? 
A curriculum should be broad, balanced, relevant and differentiated and consist of 
everything that is done to educate your child. It should cater for your child’s physical, 
intellectual, social, emotional and spiritual development. 
Broad: It should introduce the pupil to a wide range of knowledge, understanding 
and skills. 
Balanced: Each part of your programme should be allocated sufficient time to make 
it a special contribution but not so much that it squeezes out other essential parts of 
the programme. 
Relevant: Subjects should be taught to bring out their application to the child’s own 
experiences and future adult life and give due emphasis to practical aspects. 
Differentiated: What is taught and how it is taught needs to match the child’s ability 
and aptitude. 
A good curriculum will include personal, social and health education and outdoor and 
environmental education. 
The opportunity to mix and relate with other children in work and play away from the 
family home is very important. 
What about the National Curriculum? 
Children educated at home are not legally required to follow the National Curriculum. 
National Curriculum tests and assessment arrangements are developed and 
administered by the Qualifications and Curriculum Authority (QCA) on behalf of the 
Secretary of State. Information to support these arrangements is provided both 
electronically and in hard copy via the QCA’s website at or by 
telephoning their publications office on 01787 884 444. 
In addition the DfE website at allows access to the National 
Curriculum and associated schemes of work aimed at setting standards across all 
Some documents are distributed via Departmental publications and can be accessed 
through links on The Stationery Office website at or 
by telephoning 0845 602 2260. 
There are a number of reasons why you should take account of the National 

  your child is legally entitled to the National Curriculum while they are on the roll of 
a school; 
  you may wish your child to enter or re-enter the state system at a later date at 
school, college or university and integration will be easier if you have followed the 
National Curriculum; 
  when your child is seeking employment levels of attainment in the area of 
National Curriculum will be of considerable importance. 
How will I know if what I am doing is acceptable to the Local Authority? 
There will be oral feedback from the Advisor on each visit followed up by a written 
This will give you an indication of whether the educational provision is suitable and 
may also include areas for consideration and improvement and detail appropriate 
What happens if the Local Authority is not satisfied with the provision I have 
You wil  be kept fully informed of any areas of your child’s education that are causing 
The Local Authority will give you a reasonable amount of time to improve the 
situation and arrange a further visit with you. 
If we are still not satisfied we will explain to you the reason(s) why and pointing out 
the action you need to take to rectify the situation. 
The Local Authority may decide to issue a School Attendance Order under Section 
437 of the Education Act 1996 requiring your child to attend a named school in order 
to receive efficient full-time education. Failure to comply with such an order would be 
an offence. 
The Local Authority would do all it could to prevent such a course of action being 
However in the interest of your child this is the responsibility placed on the Local 
Authority by a variety of Education Acts and the necessity to fulfil this responsibility in 
the interests of the educational development of your child. 
How often will the Local Authority check the provision being provided? 
The Local Authority will wish to establish a good working relationship with you and as 
soon as we receive the information about your intention to educate at home we will 
arrange a visit as soon as possible. 
An Advisor will visit you once each academic year to look at the provision you are 
providing although more frequent visits may be arranged depending on the suitability 
of that provision. 
Alternatively, if you do not wish the Local Authority to visit you, you can attend one of 
the Local Authority’s open days. Here you will be given the opportunity to show your 
work plans and meet the Home Education Advisors  


Some final thoughts for your consideration. 
The decision to educate your child at home is a major step and will involve a 
considerable commitment in time and energy. 
Please think long and hard about this commitment, talk and listen to your child, plan 
what you intend to do before finally deciding and investigate the financial cost. 
You will need to consider the social side of your child growing up, contact with other 
children, joint activities and the stimulus of seeing other children’s work are real 
benefits in school life and will aid the social development of individual children. 
Do remember if you wish your child to enter the school system, this has the 
advantage of allowing specialist teaching, preparation for examinations and may 
overcome any problems in parental ability in some areas of education. If the National 
Curriculum has not been followed this might cause problems upon entering the 
school system as well as being difficult socially. 
The Local Authority’s Admissions Team wil  be happy to help you find a place at a 
St.Helens school. 
Parents who decide to educate at home can find it a happy and constructive 
experience but this is not always the case. It is an enormous undertaking. 
If you do decide to educate at home the Local Authority will do what it can to try to 
ensure that efficient and suitable education is provided. 
Please help us to establish and maintain a good and positive working partnership. 



How to Contact Us 
School Advisors; Carol Gowan, Phil Jameson.  
Education Welfare Officers; Andy Rigby, Brian Carty, Gail Yates.   
By Telephone 01744 673356 
People’s Services 
Education Welfare Service 
Gamble Avenue 
St Helens  
WA10 6LR 
More Information 
There  are  many  websites  that  provide  information  for  anyone  considering 
EHE – some links are provided below. 
EHE Specific (Department for Education) 
(St. Helens Information, Advice and Support Service) 
This service was previously known as St Helens Parent Partnership- a 
more direct contact is   
(The Advisory Centre for Education (ACE) is a national charity that 
provides advice and information to parents and carers on a wide range 
of school based issues including exclusion, admissions, special 
educational needs, bullying and attendance.) 

Advice and Guidance (domestic violence help)