This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Concentration of fluoride added to drinking water in fluoridated areas of England'.

Public Accountability Unit 
Tel: 020 8327 6920 
Wellington House 
133-155 Waterloo Road 
London SE1 8UG 
By email 
Our ref: 02/02/lh/616 
17 February 2017 
Dear Miss Warren 
Re: concentration of fluoride per litre of water 

Thank you for your email dated 2 February 2017 in which you asked for the following 
I refer to my FoI request in February 2014 (04/02/jb/532).  Before I take this matter 
further, please let me know if any employees, consultants and/or committees of 
Public Health England have discussed the issue of reducing the concentration of 
fluoride from 1ppm to 0.7ppm in line with the practice followed in the Republic of 
Ireland and the USA in order to protect children's teeth from the ravages of dental 
Your request for information has been handled under the Environmental Information 
Regulations (EIR). 
The following correspondence has been found in relation to your request and copies 
are attached: 
-  A letter from yourself to Duncan Selbie dated 16 February 2014 and his 
response dated 27 March 2014.  For completeness we have also included 
your letter dated 25 February 2014.  Please note I have redacted your 
address and signature from the disclosure. 
-  The research commissioned by PHE has now been published and I attach a 
copy of the publication. 
Regarding the general issue of dental fluorosis we have identified the following 

-  Briefings for Bedford Borough Council from December 2014 and February 
2015 which contain sections on dental fluorosis. 
-  A briefing for Hull City Council from November 2015 which contains a section 
on dental fluorosis 
-  A briefing for Wakefield Council from December 2015 which contains some 
comments on dental fluorosis. 
Public Health England’s 2014 Health Monitoring Report contains a section on dental 
fluorosis and can be found at: 
Public Health England’s 2016 water fluoridation toolkit also contains a section on 
dental fluorosis and can be found at: 
If you have any queries regarding the information that has been supplied to you, 
please refer your query to me in writing in the first instance. If you remain dissatisfied 
and would like to request an internal review, then please contact us at the address 
above or by emailing 
Please note that you have the right to an independent review by the Information 
Commissioner’s Office if a complaint cannot be resolved through the PHE 
complaints procedure. The Information Commissioner’s Office can be contacted by 
writing to Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, 
Cheshire SK9 5AF. 
Yours sincerely 
Freedom of Information Officer