This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'A list of MATs and all senior personnel at those trusts, including Head and Financial Director'.

Education and Skills Funding Agency 
53-55 Butts Road 
Earlsdon Park  
CV1 3BH  
Tel: 0370 000 2288 
Date: 13 July 2017 
Reference number: 2017-0032610
Dear Ms Bell 
Thank you for your request for information, which was received on 26 June 2017. You 
requested an up to date list of all multi-academy trusts (MATs) in England, including 
contact information for the head of the trust and the financial director. You also asked to be 
advised of where to find this information in future. 
I have dealt with your request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.   
As part of the Department for Education, the Education and Skills Funding Agency (ESFA) 
is responsible for funding academies, university technical colleges, studio schools and free 
We have interpreted ‘head of the trust’ as the accounting officer. In line with the Academies 
Financial Handbook, the accounting officer of a trust should be either its chief executive or 
executive principal. Please see the below description of the accounting officer role from the 
Academies Financial Handbook:  
1.5.19 Responsibilities of the academy trust’s accounting officer 
1.5.20 Each academy trust must designate a named individual as its accounting officer. 
The individual must be a fit and suitable person for the role. In trusts comprising a single 
academy this should be the principal. In multi-academy trusts it should be the chief 
executive or executive principal. 
We have interpreted ‘financial director’ as the chief financial officer. In line with the 
Academies Financial Handbook, the chief financial officer of a trust should be the trusts 
finance director, business manager or equivalent. The ESFA does not currently hold this 
information for all trusts but have included where available.  
The ESFA holds the following information about accounting officers and chief financial 
officers that falls within scope of your request: first name, last name and direct email. This 
information is currently publically available on EduBase 
( excluding direct emails which aren’t 
currently published. 
I have enclosed the data you requested with a small number of email addresses removed. 
These are where the only details that we hold are individuals’ personal email addresses. 
These are the personal data of the individuals concerned, and so we have applied section 
40(2) (personal data). Personal data is that which relates to a living individual who can be 
identified from that data, or from that data and other information which is likely to be in, or 

to come into, the possession of the requestor. Disclosure of this information would 
contravene a number of the data protection principles in the Data Protection Act 1998, and 
would be regarded as ‘unfair’. By that, we mean the likely expectations of the data subject 
that his or her information would not be disclosed to others and the effect which disclosure 
would have on the data subject. Section 40(2) is an absolute exemption and is not subject 
to the public interest test.  
The information supplied to you continues to be protected by copyright. You are free to use 
it for your own purposes, including for private study and non-commercial research, and for 
any other purpose authorised by an exception in current copyright law. Documents (except 
photographs) can be also used in the UK without requiring permission for the purposes of 
news reporting. Any other re-use, for example commercial publication, would require the 
permission of the copyright holder.  
Most documents produced by a government department or agency (Education and Skills 
Funding Agency) will be protected by Crown copyright. Most Crown copyright information 
can be re-used under the Open Government Licence 
( For information about 
the OGL and about re-using Crown copyright information please see The National Archives 
Copyright in other documents may rest with a third party. For information about obtaining 
permission from a third party see the Intellectual Property Office’s website at 
If you have any queries about this letter, please contact me. Remember to quote the 
reference number above in any future communications. 
If you are unhappy with the way your request has been handled, you should make a 
complaint to the department by writing to me within two calendar months of the date of this 
letter. Your complaint will be considered by an independent review panel, who were not 
involved in the original consideration of your request.   
If you are not content with the outcome of your complaint to the department, you may then 
contact the Information Commissioner’s Office.   
Yours sincerely, 
Ashley Linegar  
Education and Skills Funding Agency