Truck Festival 2017 – SAG Minutes
Thursday 9 March 2017
Present: Kate Fisher (Chair) – VoWHDC Licensing, Merlyn Mistry - Oxon Public Health,
Caroline Tilling, OFRS, Mary Langford -TVP Ops, Steve Phillips - Oxon Highways, Laura
Warner - TVP Licensing, Alick Natton - Environmental Health, Richard Brown – VoWHDC
Event: James Dutton, Operation Manager, Broadwick Live
Apologies – Elaine Shrimpton - Food Safety, Chris Hulme - TVP Traffic Management, Amy
Palmer – OCC Emergency Planning.
Note that Traffic matters were discussed at a separate meeting in January, SP updated that
there was the possibility of minor works in the village during the event but major work
around Steventon Bridge is likely for2018.
JD introduced the Event Plan
Now has a new licence allowing 19,999 capacity. There were no objections to the licence.
They did hold a public meeting in Steventon in November at which 30-40 people were
present. Most concerns were around litter and the dropping off by the Church. He felt there
was still a lot of goodwill despite it not being a ‘local’ festival any longer. This year the
numbers are capped at 12,000 with the option of going to 13,000 with SAG approval (see
later). It is expected the 12k will sell out next week, far earlier than normal.
There still has to be a meeting to decide Special Police Services (SPS). ML added a Silver
Commander has nominally been appointed by TVP but this is likely to change for the actual
The on-site management will be JD, Matt Harrup, Site Manager -James Brown from
Broadwick & Dave Weeks as production manager.
Some parts of the EMP still have to be completed viz. Contacts, Production Schedule,
Concessions, Medical (EMC are the medical contractors again), Organisational Structure.
Fire, Noise and Water
It is expected a new noise management contractor will be appointed – Solent will hand over.
JD then went through the layout plan. Car-parking and camping moved. Main Stage
reoriented – A.N. did not see any immediate problems with this. Market Stage tent is bigger.
New Palm City and Nest stages. Barn and V&V stages as previous. Glamping area (250 tents)
and camper vans only on the west side removing the internal bridge congestion. Now 5-6
lanes for parking entry
ML queried the amount of room between Market Stage & Concessions. JD stated that on
the ground there was a lot more space than appeared on the plan.
CT queried Fire Engine access. Lot easier for a F.E. to get to the campsites and the internal
trackway will take a F.E.
Traffic plan as submitted was looked at. SP asked for more signing details. Also requested
some additional advance signing.
CT queried blue route – up to Traffic management consultants on the day whether blue
lights can go against the one way in Featherbed Lane. AN queried why last year’s exit
couldn’t be used as a blue route – JD will take this back for consideration.
H&S rep will be Andy Smith again. Other contractors are mostly the same as last year. Traffic
Management will be S.E.P. Water likely to be RM Event Services. Noise – t.b.a.
Alcohol – Will be as outlined as at the debrief. Only reasonable amount of alcohol on first
entry to campsite, no alcohol to be brought in on re-entry. This will be advertised when
tickets sent out.
ML – queried the porosity of the site, JD felt the new layout will be less porous. There will be
no towers in the campsite this year as it can be observed from the top: staff can therefore
be switched to increased mobile patrols.
SP highlighted the public footpath on the west side. JD will pick up on this
There will only be two access points from the farm
MM asked if Turning Point /Aquarius could have a presence on site to offer advice re drug
misuse etc. JD agreed in principal and asked MM to get in touch with him separately
MM will review the D&A policy & reply separately to JD
Broadwick trialling a new system called Ground Control which will release updated sections
of the EMP as and when they occur – KF to supply JD with email address.
LW had concerns around the proposed hot tubs re disease and risk of sexual assault. JD will
get the contractor to liaise with AN/ ES.
LW asked for the ‘paint fight’ to be retermed ‘paint party’ or similar to avoid the violence
The official opening time is advertised as 1200 on the Friday – may open at 1000 if ready
LW questioned whether there was any CCTV as it is mentioned in the Vespasian document.
JD is unsure and will check. There are a number of errors in the other document that refer
to last year’s event
LW would prefer to see some more guidance on differention between ejection and handing
over to police. MH thought that Vespasian were quite good at striking the balance
LW referred to the increase in legal highs especially ‘Spice’. JD will liaise with MM over drugs
CT pointed out that in the crowd evacuation models two different figures were used.
Emergency plan document generally needs tidying.
It was agreed that Broadwick will deliver the completed EMP by the end of March. KF will
organise a further SAG meeting for the back end of April at which a decision will be made
regarding the release of the extra 1,000 tickets.