British Broadcasting Corporation Room BC2 A4 Broadcast Centre White City Wood Lane London W12 7TP
Telephone 020 8008 2882 Email email@example.com
By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
16 February 2017
Dear Ms Hewitt, Freedom of Information Request - RFI20170218
Thank you for your request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (the Act) received on 30th January
2017, seeking the fol owing information: Under the Freedom of Information Act, please provide me with the following data.
- How many men are currently contracted to the BBC?
- How many women are currently contracted to the BBC?
- What is the man to woman ratio in the broadcasting department?
- How many men and how many women are contracted to present on national TV?
- How many men and how many women are contracted to work behind the cameras? E.g. sound technicians,
camera men/women and producers.
- What is the man to woman ratio in the sports department?
- How many men and how many women work in the sports department?
- How many men and how many women have bylines for BBC.co.uk?
- What is the average salary for a male?
- What is the average salary for a female?
In order to respond in full to your request we estimate that to carry out this search would take BBC Staff
more than two and a half days. Under section 12 of the Act, we are al owed to refuse to handle the
request if it would exceed the appropriate limit. The appropriate limit has been set by the Regulations (SI
2004/3244) as being £450 (equivalent to two and a half days work, at an hourly rate of £25).
We are mindful of our duty under section 16 of the Act to provide reasonable advice and assistance to you,
and specifically to advise how you might narrow your request so that it complies with the time limit. We
are however concerned that, because of the way the BBC holds the information that you request, it is not
possible to suggest any meaningful way of narrowing. For example, even if the search were to be narrowed
to a single day or a single Division or individual, the amount of information that would need to be searched
would still be very large. Appeal Rights
If you are not satisfied that we have complied with the Act in responding to your request, you have the
right to an internal review by a BBC senior manager or legal adviser. Please contact us at the address
above, explaining what you would like us to review and including your reference number. If you are not
satisfied with the internal review, you can appeal to the Information Commissioner. The contact details are:
Information Commissioner's Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, Tel: 0303
123 1113 (local rate) or 01625 545 745 (national rate) or see http://www.ico.org.uk/.