This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'An officer who fails to exercise his duty to the detriment of another person risks 14 years imprisonment'.

Humberside Police 
Corporate Development Branch 
Information Compliance Unit 
Priory Road 
Kingston Upon Hull 
HU5 5SF 
fFaudwAtch UK  
Tel: 101 
Your Ref: 
Our Ref:F-2016-00442 
09 June, 2016 
Dear Mr Gilliatt , 
FREEDOM of INFORMATION ACT 2000 Reference No: F-2016-00442 
Thank  you  for  your  request  for  Information,  received  at  this  office  on  13  March,  2016,  in  which  you 
requested details of the following: 
Under subsection (2) of Section 26 of the Criminal Justice and 
     Courts Act 2015 a police officer "is liable, on conviction on 
     indictment, to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 14 years or a 
     fine (or both)" if he fails under subsections (5) and (6) of the 
     2015 Act to exercise a power for the purpose of achieving the 
     detriment of another person. 
     Within the last few months Humberside police has, to my knowledge, 
     stated the following in relation to two separately reported 
     incidents of perjury; - one committed by North East Lincolnshire 
     Council, and the other by two members of the public in their 
     witness statements which were outright lies. 
     "Humberside Police do not investigate allegations of perjury unless 
     a request to do so comes from the court themselves." 
     Please see the link below which is a letter dated 13 January 2016 
     containing the above statement. 
     There has clearly been a failure in exercising police powers in 
     both cases to the detriment of another person for which the officer 
     who has acted improperly is open to a term of imprisonment or a 
     fine (or both). 
     Please disclose all related material (statutory or policy) which 
     lawfully permits or advises Humberside police that it may refuse to 
     investigate allegations of perjury unless a request to do so comes 
     from the court. 


The  Freedom  of  Information  Act requires  that this  request  is  dealt  with  in  a  manner that  is  motive  and 
applicant  blind.    A  disclosure  under  this  legislation  is  considered  a  disclosure  to  the  world  and  is 
considered to be on the basis that it is in the public interest. 
This response is unique to Humberside Police and you are advised not to compare this like for like with 
any other force’s response you receive.   
Humberside Police Response 
It has been determined that your request does not meet s8(1)(c) of the Act.  You are making a statement 
opposed to requesting held information (s68).  Therefore at present your request is not valid and as such 
is closed.   
Should you need to discuss this further please contact James Green, Information Compliance Officer on 
the above details. 
Yours sincerely, 
James Green 
Information Compliance Officer 

Humberside Police – Freedom of Information Complaints Review Procedure 
Why Have A Complaints Process? 
Humberside Police is committed to delivering an open and transparent service whenever 
possible and it is our intention to commit to the principles of openness embodied in the Freedom 
of Information Act. We will release information to the greatest extent possible, consistent with 
the public interest, however we may withhold information if we consider its release would cause 
significant harm.  
If information within a document is withheld, it will be clearly marked to show where information 
has been removed and the legal exemption we have used. If we decline to supply all or part of 
any information you have asked for we will notify you in writing giving our reasons based upon 
legal exemptions contained within the Freedom of Information Act.  
If you are not satisfied about the way in which your Freedom of Information request has been 
handled you have the right to appeal. This information has been designed to help you to 
understand how to complain to Humberside Police. Using this process will not affect your right 
to complain directly to the Information Commissioner if you feel we have not complied with our 
obligations under the Freedom of Information Act.  
How Long Do I have to Raise A Complaint? 
Once we have responded to your Freedom of Information Request you will have 40 working 
days in which to raise your complaint. 
Who Can Complain? 
Anyone who has made a Freedom of Information request in writing to the Force can complain. If 
you have requested information and you are not satisfied with the way we have dealt with it, you 
can use the complaints process to have it looked at again. If someone who requested 
information would like to complain but cannot do so themselves, you can complain on their 
behalf but it will help us if you make it clear that you are doing so.  
What Can I Complain About? 
If you are not satisfied with the way we have handled your request, with the fee we have 
charged, or with the reasons we have given for refusing to provide information, you have the 
right to appeal. You can complain about the range, amount and format of information we have 
sent following a request. You can also complain about the way a request was handled, for 
example, the time it took to respond.  
How Do I Complain? 
To deal with your complaint as quickly as possible, it will help if you can give us as much 
information as you can about the original request made and the reason for your complaint. 
Please put your complaint in writing and address it to: 
FOI Appeals 
Humberside Police Information Compliance Unit  
Police Headquarters 

Priory Road 
Hull HU5 5SF 
What Happens To My Complaint? 
Once we have enough details to identify the request, we will begin the review. The Head of The 
Information Compliance Unit will normally review your complaint. In the more complex cases a 
review panel consisting of a number of senior personnel from the Force will re-examine your 
complaint. We aim to complete the review process within 20 working days of receiving your 
complaint. Upon completion we will send you the findings.  
How Will I Be Notified? 
Where we have not followed procedures or have failed to provide acceptable quality of service, 
we will apologise and explain what we will do to ensure this doesn't happen again. If our original 
decision to withhold information is over-turned on appeal we will send you the additional 
information immediately. If we believe that our original response was correct we will let you 
know, and inform you of your options (see below).  
What If I'm Still Not Satisfied? 
If we have been unable to resolve your complaint and you are not satisfied you can approach 
the office of the Information Commissioner, who may investigate the matter on your behalf. This 
option is open to you at all times, but we will endeavour to address your complaint initially, as 
this may lead to a speedier resolution. It is the Information Commissioner who decides whether 
to investigate or not. We will co-operate fully with the Information Commissioner.  
If you have any further questions about the complaints process, please contact the Information 
Compliance Unit on 01482 578039 or alternatively you can write to:  
Head of Information Compliance Unit 
Humberside Police Headquarters 
Priory Road 
Hull HU5 5SF 
Email: [email address]  

Requests for a review by the Information Commissioner should be made in writing directly to:  
The Information Commissioner 
Wycliffe House 
Water Lane 
SK9 5AF  
Phone:  01625 545 700