This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'UC Housing Element'.

DWP Central Freedom of Information Team
Annex A 

                      FOI ref: 291 
Dear Paul A Jones, 
Thank you for your Freedom of Information request of 23 January 2016. You asked: 
When someone in-work gets a benefit sanction of Universal Credit (UC) and only gets the 
Housing Element and no Standard Allowance or other element has ever been paid, will the 
sanction mean a reduction in the Housing Element (HE)? If the UC claimer was having  
financial difficulty and the HE was being paid direct to the Landlord will the landlord been 
informed why the HE is being reduced because of a sanction? 
Universal Credit sanctions are for an amount equal to 100% of the claimant’s standard 
allowance (50% each in the case of a couple). If a claimant’s standard allowance has been 
reduced due to earnings or other income, the sanction amount will be taken from the remaining 
amount of their UC award.  
It is the claimant’s responsibility to inform their landlord of a sanction to their Universal Credit if 
this will affect the payment of their rent. 
If you have any queries about this letter please contact me quoting the reference number 
Yours sincerely, 
DWP Strategy Freedom of Information Focal Point 
Your right to complain under the Freedom of Information Act 
If you are not happy with this response you can ask for an internal review by e-mailing freedom-of- or by writing to DWP, Central FoI Team, Caxton House, Tothill 
Street, SW1H 9NA. Any review request should be sent within two months of the date of this letter.  

If you are not content with the outcome of an internal review you may apply directly to the Information 
Commissioner’s Office (ICO) for a decision. Generally the ICO cannot make a decision unless you have 
exhausted our own complaints procedure. The ICO can be contacted at: Wycliffe House, Water Lane, 
Wilmslow Cheshire SK9 5AF  or telephone 0303 123 1113 or 01625