Response to Request for Information
5 August 2015
Type of request
Environmental Information Request
Geographic co-ordinates for public rights of way
1. Could you also confirm (as per my internal review request) in exactly what format and to what
precision the geographic coordinates are stored within your MapInfo files?
The co-ordinates are to 2 decimal places, but are dependent on the accuracy of the original
plot. The Council has no record of what scale each item was plotted at. Therefore accuracy
cannot be guaranteed and the data is used with caution.
2. Since you talk of "grid references", would I be correct in assuming that the coordinates are
stored as numerical OSGB eastings and northings?
3. If so what it the precision used -- do you store figures down to the nearest metre, or do the
coordinates have more or fewer significant figures than that?
The precision used is two decimal places. However, as noted above this is a false degree of
accuracy as most routes were plotted at a smaller scale on the original data sources from which
the MapInfo data is derived.
4. Alternatively, perhaps the coordinates are stored as WGS84 latitude and longitude values. If
so, how many significant figures / decimal places are stored?
5. One final question (which may be very important when it come to judging the accuracy and
completeness of the data) , can you confirm whether or not you include (a derivative of) the
electronic PRoW data you hold in your submissions to the National Street Gazetteer?
PRoW data is submitted with the Local Street Gazetteer.
6. To that end, can you please provide me with a copy of your most recently submitted
Metadata Statement (i.e. http://www.thensg.org.uk/iansg/document.htm?targ=369)?
Please see the attached document, APP1. The Statement design is the intellectual property of
GeoPlace. It does not does not cover all categories of PROW as Restricted Byway category is
Information Governance Team
Box SH1001, Cambridgeshire County Council
Castle Hill, Cambridge, CB3 0AP
Tel: 0345 045 5200
Email: [Cambridgeshire County Council request email]