Uned Rhyddid Gwybodaeth a’r Cynllun Cyhoeddi/ Freedom of Information and Publication Scheme
2014/431 – Weapons
In response to your recent request for information regarding;
1. Please can you provide the full list of all the non-lethal, less lethal and soft kill
weapons and that North Wales Police have been authorised to use.
2. Can you acknowledge that North Wales Police are currently authorised or not
to use soft kill weapons.
3. Can you also provide the complete list of illegal non-lethal, less lethal and soft
kill weapons that North Wales Police are not authorised to use.
4. Can you also provide a list of all the legal microwave weapons that North Wales
Police have been authorised to use as well as the complete list of all the illegal
microwave weapons currently in use either legally or illegally or as part of
experimental research purposes, testing or trails.
5. Can you also provide the complete list of all less lethal, non-lethal and soft kill
weapons that are currently being either tested as part of secret experimental
programs and possible research purposes by North Wales Police and or any
other agency police, military or any other organisation.
6. Can you also provide the complete list of all weapons which may or may not be
classed as psychotronic weapons that North Wales Police are currently either
using or testing as part of ongoing trials or for research. The definition of a
psychotronic weapon or device are weapons which are able to control people’s
behaviour, seriously impair psyche or drive people to death.
7. Can you also acknowledge in the affirmative that North Wales Police are
currently testing and experimenting with non-lethal, less lethal, soft kill,
microwave weapons or psychotronic weapons as part of an experimental
program of research or any other form of testing or research program.
8. Can you also provide the details of how many times less lethal, non-lethal, soft
kill, microwave and psychotronic weapons have been used by North Wales
Police in the last 10 years. Can you also provide the dates, times and the
recorded incident event log details of each specific incident of when any of the
above weapon categories were used in the last 10 years.
9. Can you also provide the names of the Police Officers who used any of the
above weapons during the last 10 years.
10. Can you also provide the names of the police units and their location who are
primarily tasked with either using these weapons, testing these weapons or
trialling these weapons.
Our information is set up and searchable for our policing purposes. To obtain the
information in the format you have requested would involve manually reviewing each
record on our force system. The cost of providing you with the information is above the
amount to which we are legally required to respond i.e. the cost of retrieving the
information exceeds the ‘appropriate level’ as stated in the Freedom of Information
(Fees and Appropriate Limit) regulations 2004.
Therefore, in accordance with the Freedom of Information Act 2000, this letter acts as a
Refusal Notice under section 17 (5) of the legislation.
Can you also tell me the appropriate means, channel or method by which someone
might complain if they believed that they were the subject of the misuse of such
Please find below a link to the North Wales Police website which contains information about
‘Making a complaint to North Wales Police’:
The systems used by Police forces in the United Kingdom for recording such figures are not
generic. It should be noted that, for this reason, this force’s response to your questions
should not be used for comparison purposes with any other response you may receive.
THIS INFORMATION HAS BEEN PROVIDED IN RESPONSE TO A REQUEST
UNDER THE FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT 2000, AND IS CORRECT AS AT 15/07/2014