This is an HTML version of an attachment to the Freedom of Information request 'Centre of life guidance for Surinder Singh'.

Surinder Singh 
Previous position 

•  A British citizen could exercise Treaty rights as a worker or self-
employed person in another EEA member state and a non-EEA 
national family member could qualify under European law on this 
•  The British citizen was not subject to any minima or maxima on 
how long the exercise of Treaty rights took place in that EEA member 

Surinder Singh 
Revised position 
The normal consideration process will not change, so the British citizen 
must still have been exercising Treaty rights, as either an employed or 
self-employed person, in another EEA member state. 
However, the amendment to the EEA regulations includes regulation 
9(2)(c), which imposes a duty on the British citizen to prove that they had 
transferred the centre of their life to the EEA member state in which 
they were exercising Treaty rights. 

Surinder Singh 
Transferral of the centre of life 
Regulation 9(2)(c) imposes a duty on the British citizen to prove that they 
had transferred the centre of their life to another EEA member state. 
Regulation 9(3) provides a list of factors that must be taken into account 
when considering whether the British citizen had transferred the centre 
of their life. This list includes: 
•  the period of residence in the EEA state as a worker or self-
employed person 
•  the location of the British citizen’s principal residence 
•  the degree of integration of the British citizen in the EEA state  

Surinder Singh 
Transferral of the centre of life 
Period of residence in the EEA state as a worker or self-employed person 
Generally, the longer the British citizen has been exercising Treaty rights 
in another EEA member state, the more likely it is that they will have 
transferred the centre of their lives. 
There is still no minimum time period that must be spent in the host 
member state and all cases must be assessed on their own merits. 

Surinder Singh 
Transferral of the centre of life 
Principal residence 
The principal residence is the place and country where the British 
citizen’s life is primarily based. 
‘Primarily’ does not mean ‘solely’ – e.g. you cannot refuse if the British 
citizen returns to the UK regularly, so long as their principal residence is 
in another EEA member state. 

Surinder Singh 
Transferral of the centre of life 
The degree of integration of the British citizen in the EEA member state 
There are many factors that may indicate the degree of integration, examples 
may include: 
•  Does the British citizen have any children born in the host member state? 
If so, are the children attending schools in the host member state? 
•  Does the British citizen have any other family members resident in the 
host member state?  
•  Has the British citizen immersed themselves into the life and culture of the 
host member state? For example, have they bought property there? Do they 
speak the language? Are they involved with the local community? 

Surinder Singh 
Transferral of the centre of life 
The more factors there are present from the previous three slides, the 
more likely it will be that the British citizen has transferred the centre of 
their life to the host EEA member state. 
If you are not satisfied that this criterion is met, the application can be 
refused under regulation 9(2)(c). Applications refused under this 
regulation will attract an in-country right of appeal under regulation 26.