Dear Ms Pook,
Having reread a number of the FOI requests about Tony and Mrs Redmond's tour of Australia I'd like to get a few things straight.
Please confirm that the following statements are correct.
1. According to Tony Redmond, when he flew from the UK to Australia and from Australia to the UK, he was on business but his wife, sitting next to him, was on holiday.
2. According to Tony Redmond, when he flew from Melbourne to Sydney he was on business but his wife, sitting next to him, was on holiday.
3. According to Tony Redmond, when he flew from Sydney to Perth he was on business but his wife, sitting next to him, was on holiday.
4. According to Tony Redmond, virtually all of the time that he was touring Australia, he was working, but 100% of the time that his wife, who was travelling with him, was touring Australia, she was on holiday.
5. According to Tony Redmond, when he was eating meals in Australia paid for by the British taxpayer, he was working, but his wife, who was with him, was on holiday.
I'd also like answers to the following, please.
A. When Tony Redmond asked the Commission to approve expenditure of a substantial amount of taxpayers money, did he tell the Commission that his wife would be going with him to Australia and that for her the whole three week tour
would be a holiday? If not why not?
B. Did Nigel Karney know that Mrs Redmond would be going to Australia with Tony Redmond?
C. Why is it not mentioned in Nigel Karney's "Study Tour" document, and why was it not felt to be of some great pertinance, that for the whole of the time that according to Tony Redmond he would be "principally" on "business" in Australia, his wife would be with him on holiday (and presumably expecting a holiday to be a bit like a holiday)?
D. If the answers to A and B are no - as Mrs Redmond had gone with Tony Redmond on his last two foreign trips (Gibraltar and Canada) how could the Commission and Nigel Karney be unaware of the likelihood that she would go on this trip/junket and fail to make the necessary enquiries to safeguard public funds?
E. As Ann Abraham was in Gibraltar only a few months earlier with Tony and Mrs Redmond at taxpayers expense, why did she not query whether Mrs Redmond was going to Australia with him? Or did she do that?
F. If Ann Abraham knew that Mrs Redmond was going to Australia on holiday, why did she not query the approval request and the expenditure? Or did she do that?
Dear Mr Taylor
The Freedom of Information Act entitles the public to request recorded information we hold, (subject to certain exceptions). The questions you raise below do not amount to a Freedom of Information Act request. We consider the information released previously has provided adequate information on this matter. We regret that you are not satisfied, but we have nothing further to add.
Communications & Records Manager | DL: 020 7217 4734 |
Local Government Ombudsman's office | 10th Floor |
Millbank Tower | Millbank | London | SW1P 4QP |
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now