Tobacco investments held by local authority pension fund
Dear West Lancashire District Council,
I am seeking information about the value of the local authority pension fund’s investment in tobacco shares and bonds, as well as the income from those investments. Please provide whatever answers you can to the following.
1. What is the most recent available value of the local authority's pension fund?
2. What is the value of the fund’s directly-held investment in shares or bonds of the following companies: British American Tobacco, Imperial Brands, Japan Tobacco International, Altria Group Inc, Philip Morris International, Universal Corp, Alliance One International?
3. What is the total combined value of the fund’s directly-held investments in the companies named above?
4. What income did the fund receive from these investments in the last 12-month period for which records are available?
5. Does the fund have any other investments in tobacco via pooled investments? What is the value of these?
6. What is the local authority’s annual spend on smoking-related illness?
7. Please supply the number of deaths attributable to smoking in the local authority areas covered by your pension fund. Your Director of Public Health or equivalent should be able to supply this figure.
If you require clarification on any of the above questions, please get in touch on 0203 353 3616, or 07415154041 or email me at [email address]
This message is to acknowledge receipt of your communication. If your
request is a valid request for information under the terms of the Freedom
of Information Act 2000 it will be answered promptly and within 20 working
Dear Mr Davies,
Further to your freedom of information request on the Local Authority
Pension Fund, I need to refer you to two contacts as West Lancs Council
does not hold the requested information.
I understand that the contacts are:-
· Marie Demaine (Senior Public Health Co-ordinator Substance
Misuse/ Tobacco Control) - Email address:
· LPP - Your Pension
Phone: 0300 323 0260
Email: [email address]
If you have any queries concerning my response please do not hesitate to
If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your request, you have the
right to ask for an internal review. Internal review requests should be
submitted within two months of the date of receipt of the response to your
original letter and should be addressed to: Mr Marc Taylor, Borough
Treasurer [email address].
Please remember to quote the reference number above in any future
If you are not content with the outcome of an internal review, you have
the right to apply directly to the Information Commissioner for a
decision. The Information Commissioner can be contacted at: Information
Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9
(My full contact details are at the bottom of this e-mail)
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now