Statistics of Tier 4 International Students During the COVID-19 Lockdown
Dear Northumbria University,
We are requesting responses to the following questions.
1. How many Tier 4 international students are enrolled at the university in the 2019-2020 academic year?
2. How many Tier 4 international students have contacted the student funding services to report difficulties with paying their tuition fees on time?
3. What sort of assistance is in place for Tier 4 international students who are unable to pay their tuition fees?
3. What sort of COVID-19 provisions are in place for Tier 4 international students? Please answer for the following:
a. Health and wellbeing, including mental health
b. Immigration advice
c. Other, please elaborate
4. Is the university providing hardship funds for Tier 4 international students? If yes, please also answer the following:
a. How many Tier 4 international students applied for hardship funds?
b. How many Tier 4 international students were granted hardship funds?
c. If a Tier 4 international student was denied a hardship fund, what were the primary reasons for this?
5. Have any Tier 4 international students been reported to the Home Office during the COVID-19 lockdown? If yes, how many?
6. How many Tier 4 international students have contacted the university's immigration support office requiring advice and/or reporting immigration difficulties from March 2020 until August 2020?
Unis Resist Border Controls (URBC)
Section 8(1) of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 (FOIA) sets out the requirements of a valid request for information. It stets that a request must, amongst other things:
“state the name of the applicant and an address for correspondence”.
The definition of “applicant” in section 84 of the FOIA adds weight to this as the phrase in section 8(1)(b) should be read as “ the name of the person making the request”. Where a public authority receives a request from a person who does not state their name in the body of the request there is no obligation to comply with the request.
It is not clear from your request what your name is, and we are unable to treat it as a valid request. We would therefore be grateful if you could please resubmit your request stating the full name of the applicant so that we can log it appropriately.
Duncan James | Data Protection Officer| Records and Information Manager (Legal Services)
T: +44 (0)191 243 7357
M: 07849 079 361
E: [email address]
Legal Services Team, Vice-Chancellor’s Office, Ground Floor Pandon Building, Camden Street, Northumbria University, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE2 1XE
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now