Sorn vehicle

Sean made this Freedom of Information request to Asiantaeth Trwyddedu Gyrwyr a Cherbydau

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

Roedd y cais yn rhannol lwyddiannus.


Could you please advise me on what a person wanting to declare a vehicle sorn is supposed to do with regards to where they should keep their vehicle if they do not own a garage or driveway? It seems to me like the public who cannot afford to own a garage or driveway are punished by being penalised for having nowhere to store there sorn vehicle. I feel this is a totally grey area which requires reviewing and laws changing on the matter as the poorer people of society are the ones being punished.

Thank you.

FOI FOI, Asiantaeth Trwyddedu Gyrwyr a Cherbydau

Dear Sir

Thank you for your request under FOI to the DVLA, this is being dealt with as business as usual.

You may be interested to know that you need to make a SORN (Statutory Off Road Notification) when you take a vehicle ‘off the road’ and you want to stop taxing and insuring it. Your vehicle is off the road if you don’t keep or use it on a public road, for example if it’s in a garage, on a drive or on private land. It may be helpful to explain that it does not have to be your own garage, drive or land.
There are no plans to change the requirements for SORN, which is fair for all keepers.

I hope this is helpful.

David A Morgan
Freedom of Information Team
Data Sharing & Protection Group | Strategy, Policy and Communications Group | D16 | DVLA | Swansea | SA6 7JL
Twitter: @dvlagovuk

Vehicle tax or SORN can’t be passed on when a vehicle changes hands.
Ni all treth cerbyd na HOS gael eu trosglwyddo pan fydd cerbyd yn newid dwylo.
Find out more at/Cael gwybod mwy ar:

dangos adrannau a ddyfynnir