Dear Heriot-Watt University,
This is a request for information under the Freedom of Information Act.
For the financial years 2012/2013, 2013/2014, 2014/2015, 2015/2016, 2016/2017 and available data for 2017/2018, I would like to be provided with details on donations, gifts, grants and research funding that have been rejected by the university.
For each rejected donation, gift, grant and research funding, please provide the following information:
- The date the university rejected such donation, gift, grant and research funding
- The sum and description of the rejected donation, gift, grant and research funding
- The reasons why the donation, gift, grant and research funding was rejected
For each rejection, please also provide further information regarding where the awarded donation, gift, grant and research funding came from:
- If it was an individual, please provide the full name and title of the individual who awarded the donation, gift, grant and research funding, as well as the country that the person is based in.
- If it was a government department or government ministry that awarded the donation, gift, grant and research funding, please provide the name of that government department or ministry, as well as the country that government department or ministry is based in.
- If it was a company that awarded the donation, gift, grant and research funding, please provide the name of that company, as well as the country that the company is registered in.
- If it was a foundation that awarded the donation, gift, grant and research funding, please provide the name of that foundation, as well as the country that the foundation is based in.
- If it was a charity that awarded the donation, gift, grant and research funding, please provide the name of that charity, as well as the country that the charity is based in.
- If it was a group of individuals or government officials or companies or foundations or charities that awarded the donation, gift, grant and research funding, please provide the full name of the group, as well as additional information on who or what that group is composed of and what country they’re based in.
I would like to receive the information electronically. If you feel that a substantive response to this request is not possible within a reasonable time frame, or the request is too broad or too vague, I would be grateful if you could contact me and provide assistance as to how I could refine the request.
Thank you for your request for information about donations, gifts, grants
and research funding that have been rejected by the University in the
years 2012/13 to date.
We do not hold the information you have requested. (Section 17 (1) of
FOISA - Information not held).
We would not have a business need to retain information about rejected
offers beyond our standard retention period for operational
correspondence, which is current financial/academic year plus one year.
In relation to research, the University follows the Research Ethics
Policy in scoping out project proposals and making applications to the
relevant Research Council or grant awarding body.
Offers of gifts are managed in accordance with our Ethical Business:
Gifts and Hospitality Policy.
Offers of gifts of potential heritage value are considered in line with
our Museum and Archive Collections Development Policy
Your right to seek review of our decision
If you are not satisfied with our response or our reasoning set-out above,
you have forty working days from today in which to request a review of our
decision. Any request should be put in writing and should be sent to Ann
Jones, Head of Heritage and Information Governance, at the address
detailed at the bottom of this email. The request should:
(a) detail your request for a review of our decision to be undertaken;
(b) describe the nature of your original request; and
(c) explain the reasons why you are dissatisfied with our response.
If you remain dissatisfied with how your request for information has been
dealt with, you also have the right to apply to the Scottish Information
Commissioner for a decision as to whether we have handled your request
Information relating to your right to seek review is available from the
Scottish Information Commissioner's web page at:
or by contacting the Scottish Information Commissioner's Office at the
Scottish Information Commissioner,
Fife KY16 9DS
Telephone: 01334 464610
Fax: 01334 464611
E-mail: [email address]
Finally, should you wish to discuss the contents of this email, please do
not hesitate to contact us.
The FOI Team
Governance and Legal Services
Edinburgh EH14 4AS
[Heriot-Watt University request email]
Founded in 1821, Heriot-Watt is a leader in ideas and solutions. With
campuses and students across the entire globe we span the world,
delivering innovation and educational excellence in business, engineering,
design and the physical, social and life sciences.
This email is generated from the Heriot-Watt University Group, which
1. Heriot-Watt University, a Scottish charity registered under number
1. Edinburgh Business School a Charity Registered in Scotland, SC026900.
Edinburgh Business School is a company limited by guarantee,
registered in Scotland with registered number SC173556 and registered
office at Heriot-Watt University Finance Office, Riccarton, Currie,
Midlothian, EH14 4AS
1. Heriot- Watt Services Limited (Oriam), Scotland's national performance
centre for sport. Heriot-Watt Services Limited is a private limited
company registered is Scotland with registered number SC271030 and
registered office at Research & Enterprise Services Heriot-Watt
University, Riccarton, Edinburgh, EH14 4AS.
The contents (including any attachments) are confidential. If you are not
the intended recipient of this e-mail, any disclosure, copying,
distribution or use of its contents is strictly prohibited, and you should
please notify the sender immediately and then delete it (including any
attachments) from your system.
6. mailto:[email address]
8. mailto:[Heriot-Watt University request email]
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now