Dear Sir or Madam
REPATRIATION OF HUMAN REMAINS
I am carrying out some research into the storage, retention and repatriation of non-European ethnological human remains held in UK regional museums or archives some of which are owned, managed or funded by UK local authorities.
To assist with this could you please let me have the following information under the Freedom of Information Act. All of these questions relate to human remains that are under 1,000 years of age. If your organisation is not covered by the Freedom of Information Act please consider supporting this research anyway and providing the information voluntarily. A link to the research will be provided to all contributers when it is published:
1. How many non-European human remains do you have in your collection or collections managed by organisations which you fund or control? If you do not have the exact number then please provide an approximation based on your normal method of counting.
2. How many human remains do you have in your collection which originated in:
b. New Zealand
3. How many requests for the repatriation of human remains have you had from communities, individuals or institutions outside of Europe since the Human Tissue Act 2004 came into force?
4. Of these requests, how many were:
a. Approved in full, with all of the requested remains being returned to the communities/individuals in question.
b. Approved in part with some of the requested remains being returned.
c. Not approved.
d. Still awaiting a decision.
5. For those requests which were not approved please provide a copy of the final decision letter setting out the reasons.
6. How many human remains have you repatriated to their country of origin proactively without receiving a request?
Thanking you in advance for your assistance with this important research project which should help to reconnect numerous Indigenous communities with their lost ancestors.
THIS EMAIL ADDRESS IS NOT SECURE FOR THE TRANSMISSION OF UNENCRYPTED SENSITIVE
Dear sir or madam,
Further to your request please be advised that we do not hold this
information as any remains would be local and not non-European.
Complaints and Information Governance Team
Business Intelligence Unit
Luton Borough Council
Town Hall, LU1 2BQ
Phone; 01582 546398
Email: [email address]
IMPORTANT: Luton Borough Council routinely monitors the content of e-mail
sent and received by its e-mail systems, to ensure compliance with its
policies and procedures. Messages that breach policy or pose a threat may
be quarantined or deleted. Scanning of this message and addition of this
footer is performed by MailMarshal Secure Email Gateway in conjunction
with virus detection software. The Council is not responsible for any
changes made to the message after it has been sent. This message is
intended only for the addressee. Any unauthorised copying or distribution
may be unlawful. If you have received this email in error please notify
the originator of the message and then delete this message from your
Sign up to receive important updates on council
Twitter Follow us on Twitter: @Lutoncouncil
Facebook Like us on Facebook: Luton Council
Think Green Before printing, please think about the ENVIRONMENT!
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now