Repatriation of human remains
Maciej Wójtowicz made this Rhyddid Gwybodaeth request to Royal Air Force Museum
This request has been closed to new correspondence. Contact us if you think it should be reopened.
Dear Sir or Madam
REPATRIATION OF HUMAN REMAINS
I am carrying out some research into the storage, retention and repatriation of non-European ethnological human remains held in UK museums. To assist with this could you please let me have the following information under the Freedom of Information Act. All of these questions relate to human remains that are under 1,000 years of age:
1. How many non-European human remains do you have in your collection? If you do not have the exact number, then please provide an approximation based on your normal method of counting.
2. How many requests for the repatriation of non-European human remains did you receive from communities, individuals or institutions outside of Europe prior to the Human Tissue Act 2004 coming into force? Of these how many were approved?
3. How many requests for the repatriation of human remains have you had from communities, individuals or institutions outside of Europe since the Human Tissue Act 2004 came into force?
4. Of these requests, how many were:
a. Approved in full, with all of the requested remains being returned to the communities/individuals in question.
b. Approved in part with some of the requested remains being returned.
c. Not approved.
d. Still awaiting a decision.
5. For those requests which were not approved please provide a copy of the final decision letter setting out the reasons.
Thanking you in advance for your assistance in this matter.
Sent request to Royal Air Force Museum again, using a new contact address.
Thank you very much for your enquiry which will be passed to the relevant
department. For collection or research related enquiries we aim to answer
within 20 working days.
Facebook Twitter Youtube Instagram TripAdvisor
Please Note: This e-mail and its attachments may be confidential. If they
have come to you in error; please reply to this e-mail and let us know. We
have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail is free from any virus, though
we advise the recipient should take their own steps to confirm this.
Thank you very much for your email. This inbox is now closed and your email will not be responded to or forwarded.
If you enquiry is research or collections focused please resubmit your email to: [email address]<mailto:[email address]>
If you would like to discuss the donation of an artefact please complete the form to be found at: https://www.rafmuseum.org.uk/support-us/... or email [email address]<mailto:[email address]>
If your enquiry relates to general museum information please direct your email to: [email address]<mailto:[email address]>
[Facebook]<https://facebook.com/rafmuseum> [Twitter] <https://twitter.com/rafmuseum> [Youtube] <https://youtube.com/rafmuseum> [Instagram] <https://instagram.com/rafmuseum> [TripAdvisor] <http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Re...>
Please Note: This e-mail and its attachments may be confidential. If they have come to you in error; please reply to this e-mail and let us know. We have taken steps to ensure that this e-mail is free from any virus, though we advise the recipient should take their own steps to confirm this.
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now