Dear Sir or Madam
REPATRIATION OF HUMAN REMAINS
I am carrying out some research into the storage, retention and repatriation of non-European ethnological human remains held in UK regional museums or archives some of which are owned, managed or funded by UK local authorities.
To assist with this could you please let me have the following information under the Freedom of Information Act. All of these questions relate to human remains that are under 1,000 years of age. If your organisation is not covered by the Freedom of Information Act please consider supporting this research anyway and providing the information voluntarily. A link to the research will be provided to all contributers when it is published:
1. How many non-European human remains do you have in your collection or collections managed by organisations which you fund or control? If you do not have the exact number then please provide an approximation based on your normal method of counting.
2. How many human remains do you have in your collection which originated in:
b. New Zealand
3. How many requests for the repatriation of human remains have you had from communities, individuals or institutions outside of Europe since the Human Tissue Act 2004 came into force?
4. Of these requests, how many were:
a. Approved in full, with all of the requested remains being returned to the communities/individuals in question.
b. Approved in part with some of the requested remains being returned.
c. Not approved.
d. Still awaiting a decision.
5. For those requests which were not approved please provide a copy of the final decision letter setting out the reasons.
6. How many human remains have you repatriated to their country of origin proactively without receiving a request?
Thanking you in advance for your assistance with this important research project which should help to reconnect numerous Indigenous communities with their lost ancestors.
Thank you for making a request for information to the London Borough of
We are aiming to respond to your request within 20 working days and will
let you know if we hold the information you requested and if we can
release it under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.
We are now making an initial assessment of your request and we will
contact you if any clarification is needed.
If you have any queries regarding your request, please contact us at
[Enfield Council request email] quoting your reference CRM FOI
Complaints & Access to Information Coordinator
Complaints & Access to Information Team
London Borough of Enfield
Phone: 020 8379 5750
Email: [email address]
FacebookFollow us on Facebook TwitterTwitter
This email has been scanned for viruses but we cannot guarantee that it
will be free of viruses or malware. The recipient should perform their own
1. mailto:[Enfield Council request email]
2. mailto:[email address]
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now