Dear Manchester Metropolitan University,
Please provide me the statistics regarding reported racism at the
University of Manchester in 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
1) Please provide the number of reported cases of racist abuse during semester times, from the student’s perspective by another student.
2) Please provide the number of reported cases of racist abuse during semester times by a member of staff against a student.
3) Please provide the number of reported cases of racist abuse during semester times between staff members.
4) If the information is held, please list the race/ nationality of
Thank you for your email.
The University aims to respond to all Freedom of Information requests
within 20 working days of receipt. If this is not possible, we will
contact you within 20 working days to explain why and will provide you
with an alternative response date.
The 20 working day timescale under the Act excludes weekends and all UK
[Manchester Metropolitan University request email]
"Before acting on this email or opening any attachments you should read
the Manchester Metropolitan University email disclaimer available on its
website http://www.mmu.ac.uk/emaildisclaimer "
The University records complaints about racism, including racist
behaviour, but these are not recorded specifically as ‘racist abuse’.
From the period from 2017 to 2020, the University received the following
complaints about racism:
- Complaints from students about other students: 4
- Complaints about staff from/about behaviour towards students: 0
- Complaints about staff from/about behaviour towards other staff:
- We are unable to provide a breakdown of data per year, because
this would be likely to lead to individuals becoming indirectly
identifiable (by other students/staff) by release into the public domain.
- Complaints include all forms of racism/racist behaviour but are
not specifically recorded as racist abuse.
- The majority of complaints/incidents relating to students are
likely to occur in/during term-time, but from our complaints log, we are
unable to identify/distinguish these complaints from any
received/occurring during holiday periods.
- The race/nationality of the complainants is not recorded.
- The figures above relate to the main/core aspects of the
complaint only. Complaint logs are unable to capture the full complexity
of all complaints received and therefore tend to record only the
primary/more significant aspects of a complaint. Although all matters
raised would be dealt with as part of the complaint, the central
complaints log would not generally include details of all additional
matters referred to, particularly where the complainant has made clear
what the primary/central issues of concern are and which are
If you are dissatisfied with this response and wish to appeal our
decision, please write to [Manchester Metropolitan University request email] giving your reasons for
appealing. You must appeal within 40 working days of the date of this
email. Under s5.3 of the Freedom of Information Act Code of Practice, we
are not obliged to accept appeals/internal reviews after this date. You
also have a subsequent right of appeal to the Information Commissioner’s
Office (ICO), see their website at: https://ico.org.uk for more
Michelle Gretton | Senior Information Governance Officer
Legal Services | Manchester Metropolitan University
Email: [Manchester Metropolitan University request email]
All Saints Building | Oxford Road | Manchester | M15 6BH | United Kingdom
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now