Dear Glyndŵr University,
I note that you regularly advertise a premium rate 0844 number for bookings and enquiries relating to William Aston Hall.
In addition to imposing an unnecessary extra surcharge on callers, I note that the way in this number is regularly promoted in non-compliant ways - primarily through the advertising of the number without the necessary call cost information mandated by Ofcom.
Additionally, you do not seem to be complying with section 41 (1) of the Consumer Contracts Regulations which bans the use of 084, 087 and 09 numbers for post-sales customer helplines.
In light of this, I would be grateful if you could supply me with any meeting minutes, correspondence, policy documents or similar items covering the following points:
1) When and why the 0844 number was adopted for bookings and why a standard rate 01978 or 03 number was not used.
2) What "service charge" rate applies to the 0844 number and what proportion of this revenue is passed back as revenue to Glyndwr University.
3) Your understanding of your duties under section 41 (1) of the Consumer Contracts Regulations - and specifically either how you are complying with the requirement that any post-booking customer service lines operate on standard rate phone numbers, or your justification for non-compliance.
4) How you are ensuring that staff and contractors producing publicity materials featuring your 0844 numbers are aware of the need to publish a clear pricing statement everywhere this number is listed. Or, alternatively, your justification for choosing not to comply with the guidelines relating to such numbers.
5) Any rationale for the failure to include a clear pricing statement on your website alongside the 0844 number, over two years after this became an explicit requirement.
With thanks in advance for your assistance.
Ref: 127_Martin_0844 no. for WAH Bookings
I acknowledge your request for information received on 18/08/17.
Your request is being considered and you will receive the information requested within the statutory timescale of 20 working days as defined by the Freedom of Information Act 2000, subject to the information not being exempt or containing a reference to a third party. For your information, the Act defines a number of exemptions which may prevent release of the information you have requested. There will be an assessment and if any of the exemption categories apply then the information will not be released. You will be informed if this is the case, including your rights of appeal. If the information you request contains reference to a third party then they may be consulted prior to a decision being taken on whether or not to release the information to you. You will be informed if this is the case. There may be a fee payable for this information. This will be considered and you will be informed if a fee is payable. In this event the fee must be paid before the information is processed and released. The 20 working day time limit for responses is suspended until receipt of the payment.
If you have any queries or concerns then please contact the Freedom of Information Officer, Glyndwr University, Plas Coch, Mold Road, WREXHAM LL11 2AW or e-mail [Glyndwr University request email] or by phone 01978 290666.
Further information is also available from the Information Commissioner at:
Information Commissioner's Office
Telephone: 01625 545 700
Freedom of Information
Administrative Assistant FOI
Prifysgol Glyndŵr Wrecsam
Glyndŵr University Wrexham
Ffordd yr Wyddgrug, Wrecsam, Cymru. LL11 2AW
Mold Road, Wrexham, Wales. LL11 2AW
Ffon/Tel: +44(0) 1978 290666
Ffacs/Fax: +44(0) 1978 290008
Please find attached the University's response to your Freedom of Information request of the 18 August 2017.
Freedom of Information
Dear Freedom of Information,
Thank you for your helpful and considered response.
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now