Prevent - University registers of research and 'firewalls'
Under the Freedom of Information Act, please provide the following:
1. Your Prevent action plan or any document that outlines your institution’s Prevent policy in line with your obligations under the Counter Terrorism and Security Act 2015
2. Confirm if students, researchers and members of staff are obliged to register research which is deemed to be security sensitive
3. If such a register exists, the number of entries for each of the years 2018 (up to the date of this request), 2017, 2016 and 2015. By entries, I mean occasions on which individuals have registered research which falls into the category set out in bullet point 2. If possible, please identify the nature of the research (eg PhD, internally funded, externally funded) and topic
4. If such a register exists, confirm whether or not it is stored onsite or on an external server.
5. If such a register exists, confirm whether the register is subject to any information sharing agreements with external partners or agencies including local and regional Prevent coordinators, the Home Office, the local Counter Terrorism Intelligence Unit, the local police or any other law enforcement agencies
6. A list of any agreements, arrangements or Memorandums of Understanding between your institution and bodies such as the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF), the Counter Terrorism Internet Referral Unit (CTIRU) of the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS), or Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit (PIPCU) of the City of London Police, to receive lists of illegal or illicit content, for instance for the purposes of blocking.
7. Confirm if any filtering or blocking service that your institution uses incorporate lists from the IWF, CTIRU or PIPCU, and which lists are incorporated;
Thank you for your information request.
Your request is being dealt with under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act and will be answered within 20 working days.
If you have any queries in relation to your request please do not hesitate to contact me.
On behalf of
Freedom of Information and Data Protection Specialist Plymouth University
(01752) (5)88214 [email address] Plymouth University, 16 Portland Villas, Drake Circus, Plymouth, PL4 8AA
Thank you for your recent information request.
Please find attached the following documents;
1. Copy of your request.
2. Released information.
The requested information has been provided in the attached document. If
you are dissatisfied with the outcome, or how your request for information
has been handled you have the right to appeal.
Should you wish to appeal please set out in writing your reasons for
appealing and send to [University of Plymouth request email] within 60 days of the date of
If you are unhappy with the outcome of the appeal then you can have a
further right of appeal to the Information Commissioner’s Office. Further
information is available on their website
https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/ or by telephone on 0303 123
Please ensure you quote the above reference in all correspondence.
Freedom of Information and Data Protection Specialist University of
(01752) (5)88214 [email address]
University of Plymouth, 16 Portland Villas, Drake Circus, Plymouth, PL4
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now