Prevent - University registers of research and 'firewalls'
Under the Freedom of Information Act, please provide the following:
1. Your Prevent action plan or any document that outlines your institution’s Prevent policy in line with your obligations under the Counter Terrorism and Security Act 2015
2. Confirm if students, researchers and members of staff are obliged to register research which is deemed to be security sensitive
3. If such a register exists, the number of entries for each of the years 2018 (up to the date of this request), 2017, 2016 and 2015. By entries, I mean occasions on which individuals have registered research which falls into the category set out in bullet point 2. If possible, please identify the nature of the research (eg PhD, internally funded, externally funded) and topic
4. If such a register exists, confirm whether or not it is stored onsite or on an external server.
5. If such a register exists, confirm whether the register is subject to any information sharing agreements with external partners or agencies including local and regional Prevent coordinators, the Home Office, the local Counter Terrorism Intelligence Unit, the local police or any other law enforcement agencies
6. A list of any agreements, arrangements or Memorandums of Understanding between your institution and bodies such as the Internet Watch Foundation (IWF), the Counter Terrorism Internet Referral Unit (CTIRU) of the Metropolitan Police Service (MPS), or Police Intellectual Property Crime Unit (PIPCU) of the City of London Police, to receive lists of illegal or illicit content, for instance for the purposes of blocking.
7. Confirm if any filtering or blocking service that your institution uses incorporate lists from the IWF, CTIRU or PIPCU, and which lists are incorporated;
Dear Mr Quinn,
Thank you for your email of 15/10/18 requesting information about the Prevent Policy.
I am writing to let you know that we have received your request and will process it as soon as reasonably possible, and hope to reply by 12/11/10. However, we are currently experiencing an exceptionally high volume of requests and staff shortages. We will do our utmost to respond within 20 working days but wanted to alert you to the potential that this may not be possible.
The University of Edinburgh's privacy notice, which describes how we use the information you have supplied about yourself and your request, is available on-line at https://www.ed.ac.uk/records-management/....
Records and Administrative Support Officer
The University of Edinburgh is a charitable body, registered in
Scotland, with registration number SC005336.
Dear Mr Quinn
Thank you for your emails of 15 and 22 October 2018 requesting information about the University's Prevent obligations. I attach the University's response.
Information Compliance Manager
University of Edinburgh
Records Management Section
T: 0131 651 4099
E: [University of Edinburgh request email]
A: Old College, Edinburgh, EH8 9YL
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now