Post Office Trial of International ID card Enrolement

James Elsdon-Baker made this Rhyddid Gwybodaeth request to UK Border Agency

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

Roedd y cais yn rhannol lwyddiannus.

James Elsdon-Baker

Dear Sir or Madam,

Home Secretary Alan Johnson also announced today 25th September 2009 that the UK Border Agency is to trial technology at 17 Crown Post Offices where foreign nationals can enroll fingerprints for a fee of £8 in order to apply for Biometric ID cards.

Could you please inform me of the names and location of the 17 Crown Post offices where this trail will take place.

In addition could you please provide me with any documentation including minutes of meeting between the Post Office and UKBA, correspondence, and reports that relate to the decision making process, cost and risk assessment of this trial.

Yours faithfully,

James

Freedom Of Information Team \( IND \), UK Border Agency

Dear James Elsdon-Baker

Re - FOI request Biometric I D Cards

Thank you for your recent e-mail concerning the above matter.
Your request is being dealt with under the terms of The Freedom of Information Act 2000 and we will respond shortly.

Kind Regards

UKBA
FOI Team

dangos adrannau a ddyfynnir

Freedom Of Information Team ( IND ), UK Border Agency

1 Atodiad

Dear Mr James Elsdon-Baker

Please find the attached letter in relation to your FOI request.

Yours sincerely

Freedom of Information Team
UK Border Agency

dangos adrannau a ddyfynnir

Gadawodd James Elsdon-Baker anodiad ()

Not sure what the commerical interest would be in this?

Freedom Of Information Team \( IND \), UK Border Agency

Dear Mr Elsdon-Baker

Further to our letter to you dated 23 October, I am writing to let you
know we would not be able to send your response today as previously
stated. This is because we require further time to properly consider your
request. It has taken us longer to locate and extract the information you
have requested than we anticipated.

However, we are currently dealing with your request as a matter of urgency
and hope to send you a substantive response as soon as possible.

Once again please accept my apologies.

Yours sincerely

UK Border Agency

Freedom of Information Team

dangos adrannau a ddyfynnir

Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or
recorded for legal purposes.

James Elsdon-Baker

Dear Freedom Of Information Team ( IND ),

Thankyou for the update concerning my FOI request. I appreciate that you are looking into it as a matter of urgency.

Yours sincerely,

James Elsdon-Baker

James Elsdon-Baker

Dear Freedom Of Information Team ( IND ),

I have still not had a response, and it has been well over a month since I was told this would be dealt with promptly. I'd therefore like an internal review of this FOI request to establish why it has taken so long.

http://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/po...

Yours sincerely,

James Elsdon-Baker

Freedom Of Information Team ( IND ), UK Border Agency

3 Atodiad

Dear Mr Elsdon-Baker

Please find the attached in relation to your FOI request.

Kind regards

Freedom of Information Team

UK Border Agency

dangos adrannau a ddyfynnir

Communications via the GSi may be automatically logged, monitored and/or
recorded for legal purposes.

Gadawodd Wayne Pearsall anodiad ()

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/i...

second file...

the new had held machines were deployed at :
at Stansted and Terminal 3 and 4

a card reader was deployed at:
at LSE Enforcement.

DVLA have confirmed that they are content that their Post Office arrangement, which was
awarded to single tender (and the proposal to extend its use to UKBA biometric enrolment),
is OJEU compliant. There have been no challenges to date and there are unlikely to be any.
DVLA lawyers are confident the arrangements would withstand any legal challenge and this
contract is not cross-subsidising the Post

UKBA would run the fingerprint checks itself after the customer has visited the Post Office to
record their fingerprints (which would be transmitted securely to UKBA). If there were any
issues (eg IDENT1 hit or mismatching identity) the applicant would be asked to make an
appointment to visit a UKBA office where further investigations could be undertaken. The
Post Office would not have access to any fingerprint databases.

SUMMARY MINUTES
1. Welcome & Introductions
 Attendees introduced themselves and Jeremy welcomed the Board. (See Annex A for full list
of attendees, page *).
 Actions were run through with updates made direct to separate log (see ICFN Action Log).
 Last months Minutes (28.4.09) were approved.
2. ICFN Programme update
LM presented ICFN Programme update outlining key points as:
 ICFN Programme has been presented with several big challenges since the last Board. The
programme has been and is continuing to work closely with all delivery partners (HOIT, Atos,
DVLA and IPS) to rectify issues presented.
 ICFN 08 has successfully transitioned to HOIT Service management.
 ION go live dates (first go live was confirmed at 12th of June**) and incremental roll out was
confirmed.
JO queried whether incremental roll out to ION go live was best approach
SB confirmed this was one of the best options and that the first go live would be discussed at the
internal IPS RAB (a check point for readiness) meeting tomorrow.
JO confirmed that he does not want a further slip on the 12th of June date for IPS ION go live.
A discussion around PKISS took place with key points being:
 The 1 month slippage on PKISS release 2.1 does not affect go live at present.
 There is a need to understand whether PKISS release 2.1 incorporates cover for recent issues
as well as existing problems and highlights how MFTP will deal with increased volumes
 JO queried why we could not continue with MFTP
 LM outlined reasons; Due to volume increase, human error, additional pressure of CWIC
project.
 JO queried expected date for resolution
 RC confirmed the 5/9/09 subject to the necessary issues (bullets 2 and 3 above) being
understood and resolved.
 LM confirmed that in order to fully understand whether PKISS release 2.1 will cover off the
current problems ICFN will incorporate an e2e messaging review within the Home Office
Delivery Unit (HODU) work. IPS confirmed they are looking at contingency to deal with
increased volumes and that they are looking to improve the SLA with Thales.
 SB confirmed the PKISS release 2.1 is progressing however the supplier is limited in terms of
resources.
 SB confirmed PKISS release 2.1 go live date as 5/6/09 for UKBA.
AC-030– IPS to provide PKISS release 2.1 progress updates to the Board going forward.
JO queried whether the current reconciliation process (a mitigating action for the current issue of card
duplication) is done manually.
LM stated that this process is no longer manual but automatic via an Atos created report, which takes
3 hours for a resource to carry out.
LM outlined other areas of ICFN activity as:
 A new piece of work is being started up which will look at the highest capacity we can get
through our doors prior to student surge.
 Fixed priced contracts will be in place going forward with Atos to lower costs in our
Programme.
 RC confirmed delivery date for Post office as 03/09/09.
 MD mentioned further slippage to delivery date due to issues around CCTV, 1000 records etc.
potentially moving the delivery date back to the 3/10/09.
AC-031 – KP to set up workshop with PO colleagues to discuss issues outlined and possible solutions
to getting the original delivery date of 3/9/09 agreed.
AC-032 – Post office to be discussed at the next Board with discussion topics clearly outlined.
3. ICFN 08 transition to HOIT Service Management
DM provided a run through of the paper outlining key points as:
 Last week (ending 5/6/09) the ICFN 08 and HOIT Service transition management team met for
the last time.
 There are a few areas outstanding which are being worked on and are acknowledged by both
parties.
 The e2e solution has been transitioned to HOIT.
Discussion/ questions:
 RC queried as to whether we will now be in a better place when it comes to project liaison and
delivery going forward.
 DM confirmed that the HOIT team are already involved with up and coming work.
 JO queried route to sorting and raising problems in live environment.
 DM confirmed that GK and Darryl Lippert act as the point of contact for any issues for
escalation and that an alternative route for escalation was to raise the issue via usual help
desk numbers used by all staff.
 SD commented that L&SE regional operations team have a good relationship with HOIT and
feel confident in their operations and staff to provide a suitable level of information if there are
any system viruses.
AC-033 – GK to report upon how ICFN service management/ operational performance is progressing
to the Board going forward.
4. Arc cards and replacements
FS provided a summary of the paper and what was required from the Board:
 Asylum registration card (ARC) is a second generation ID card which was implemented in
2001 and has been operating successfully since them. It holds biometric data (fingerprints)
and is available for asylum seekers showing identity and entitlement (in order for external
organisation verification).
 2x batches of 250,000 ARC cards have been purchased since go live in 2001.
 The rate of asylum has significantly increased resulting in limited card availability therefore a
decision needs to be made in order to further provide cards to asylum seekers. Options
presented to the Board were:
1. To integrate the ARC card in to the ICFN family as a variant or;
2. To put in a repeat order for existing cards.
Decision required: An owner in order to take this forward is to be confirmed along with a
governance structure and a quick decision in order to allow for adequate planning and delivery of
the chosen option.
Discussions/ queries:
 SD expressed Huge Ind’s view of there should only be one card and his view was to go with
the ICFN integration option.
 JO queried whether the Programme has the capacity to look at the ARC to ICFN transition.
 The team agreed to look at the next level of detail to bring back for decision.
 JO queried minimum batch order figure
 FS confirmed that Sagem ARC card causes the 250,00 batch order restraint.
Decisions:
 JO confirmed business owner as Huge Ind (Asylum Strategy).
AC-034 – Report to be provided at the next Board covering key activities, costs and how we envisage
managing the transition to the ICFN family. (The cost side needs to cover the current 09/10 Arc card
spend and what would happen if we stopped that and applied it to the ARC/ ICFN transition).
AC-035 – FS to ensure decrease of ARC cards is reported upon regularly.
AC-036 – NM to invite Huge Ind to the next ICFN Programme Board.
5. Contact centre - Online appointment booking
AB provide an overview of the paper:
 Paper covers the need for further appointment booking capacity and why online booking is
advantageous over increasing call centre capability. Decisions required were outlined as;
To agree principal of the project, to commission scoping phase and agree resources
needed / governance within ICFN Programme.
Discussions/questions:
 CS mentioned possibility to join up with ICW (Rachel Fisher is the contact)
 Jo mentioned he has a new resource named Laura Hooper who has been hired to review
the current problems with the call centres and propose solutions.
 JO is due to report to the UKBA Board on this matter in the next month.
 Technology options included using existing Q-Matic or working in conjunction with ICW.
Decisions:
 The project needs to go ahead with an expected delivery date being Q2/3 2009.
 The requirements definition, testing etc need to be lloked at.
AC-037 – AB to join up with work being done by Laura Hooper to scope delivery option in detail.
AC-038 – A presentation covering what can be implemented in the short term (delivering in Q2/3
2009) and in the long term as a ‘joined up’ solution for UKBA incorporating ICW deliverables is
required for decision at the next Board.
6. 1000 record pack approval
GH outlined the need for a 1000 record pack to be issued to DVLA when they calibrate their
machines:
 This record pack is a pre-curser to DVLA signing off on the SLA.
 DVLA require this record pack in order to baseline machine in regards to throughput.
Decisions:
Principle has the go ahead subject to the following conditions:
 Sign off by DSU is gained;
 ICFN are confident that this will not lead to duplicate cards being issued and;
 The handling process of destroying the cards is to be defined and set out for JO to review.
AC-039- DSU sign off is needed on the 1000 record pack ‘end process’ (destroying the cards) and set
out for JO to review at the next Board. (Cat Donahue was identified as the IPS security lead (for
handling data correctly) that could provide some lessons learned from passport production).
7. CWIC
AB outlined the background to the paper. The decision required from the board was to agree the
location of the data processing team for CWIC and determine whether CWIC casework should be:
 Considered within existing casework teams (in Croydon or Sheffield) in line with our current
process on domestic abuse cases, or;
 Whether a specific team undertakes this casework, as part of the Expanded Biometric
Supervisors Unit.
Decision:
 Confirmation for this to go ahead at the Sheffield site and KC will integrate the additional
CWIC cases of 300 per year into existing case working process.

(i got bored of reading, but the redactions are very easy to read through :P)