Policies for dealing with buddleia.

Kiron Reid made this Rhyddid Gwybodaeth request to Environment Agency

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

Roedd y cais yn rhannol lwyddiannus.

Dear Environment Agency,

The plant buddleia is an invasive species across our towns and cities – especially city centres, inner urban areas, and any large open piece of untended land including railway land.

The nuisance that it causes to buildings, walls, paths and pavements, in houses, flats and historic buildings is obvious in just a few months. Many residents, tenants, occupants, owners and landlords and management companies seem to do little to limit the damage caused to their own or neighbouring properties.

Does the Environment Agency have any policy to counteract the spread of and damage caused by this pretty, bee friendly but damagingly invasive plant? Is the Agency working with local councils and other authorities and landowners to control this nuisance?

I am also asking the same question to the Department for the Environment.

Yours faithfully,

Kiron Reid
20 West Albert Road

Enquiries, Unit, Environment Agency

5 Atodiad

Please note this is an auto reply message.


Thank you – the Environment Agency has received your email.


For information on what you can expect from us and our full service
commitment to you then please visit our website: 



Freedom of Information Act and Environmental Information Regulations state
that a public authority must respond to requests for information within 20
working days however we always aim to provide an answer as soon as we can.


Usually we make no charge for providing information. In some cases we may
make a charge for licensed re-use of our data. Where this is the case, we
will notify you in advance.


Environmental Incident


If your email was to report an environmental incident i.e. pollution, fish
in distress, dumping of hazardous waste etc. then please call our
Freephone 24 hour Incident Hotline on 0800 80 70 60.   For more details
about incident reporting please see our website:


Kind Regards,


National Customer Contact Centre - Part of National Operations Services

( Tel: 03708 506 506

: Web Site: [3]www.gov.uk/environment-agency


Click an icon to keep in touch with us:-





Information in this message may be confidential and may be legally privileged. If you have received this message by mistake, please notify the sender immediately, delete it and do not copy it to anyone else.

We have checked this email and its attachments for viruses. But you should still check any attachment before opening it.
We may have to make this message and any reply to it public if asked to under the Freedom of Information Act, Data Protection Act or for litigation. Email messages and attachments sent to or from any Environment Agency address may also be accessed by someone other than the sender or recipient, for business purposes.
Click [9]here to report this email as spam


Visible links
1. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicatio...
2. https://www.gov.uk/report-an-environment...
3. http://www.gov.uk/environment-agency
4. http://www.facebook.com/environmentagenc...
5. http://www.twitter.com/EnvAgency
6. http://www.youtube.com/EnvironmentAgencyTV
7. http://www.flickr.com/photos/environment...
8. http://www.linkedin.com/company/environm...
9. Warning: Report the message as spam

Enquiries, Unit, Environment Agency

5 Atodiad

Good afternoon


The Environment Agency regulate the waste industry and have certain rights
and responsibilities for flood risk in England.


Invasive and injurious plants are not reportable to the Environment


Only if weeds are causing a blockage within a watercourse and flooding is
imminent would be reportable to our incident communication service on 0800


We have information on harmful weeds and invasive non-native plants on our
website of GOV.UK:




It is an offence to plant or cause invasive non-native plants to spread in
the wild under the Wildlife and Countryside Act 1981 and is reportable to
the local police (wildlife liaison officer).


Landowners are responsible for the control any invasive non-native plants
on their land, but they don't have to remove it, as the natural growth and
spread is not illegal.


However, allowing the invasive non-native plants to spread onto land
outside of the ownership or control of the landowner can be seen as an


The Police and Local Authorities may take enforcement action if a
landowner causes or allows this to spread to land outside their


I have attached a link on our website of GOV.UK, that explains the action
the local authorises can take in these situations.


‘Anti-social Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act: anti-social behaviour’




I am sorry we are unable to offer you any further assistance, but this is
a matter that will need to be forwarded to your local authorises.



Kind regards



Jacquie Batty

National Customer Contact Centre

Environment Agency


(Tel: 03708 506 506


Click an icon to keep in touch with us:-



So how did we do...?


Our National Customer Contact Centre relies on customer feedback, so we
really value your thoughts on how we are doing. We will always make
changes where we can to improve our service. This will only take three
minutes to complete:


Click here: [8]http://www.smartsurvey.co.uk/s/NCCCcusto...







dangos adrannau a ddyfynnir