Passport for a child

Grzegorz Gulczynski made this Rhyddid Gwybodaeth request to HM Passport Office

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

Roedd y cais yn rhannol lwyddiannus.

Grzegorz Gulczynski

Dear HM Passport Office,

We were wondering if our first child born in Feb 2011 is qualify to apply for UK passport. Myself and wife came to UK from EU country in April 2009.

In 2017 our 2nd daughter was born and she has UK passport as she was born after our 5 years being here. It is bit strange to have two daughters both with different passports.

Hope it all makes sense, thanks

Yours faithfully,
Grzegorz Gulczynski

FOI, HM Passport Office

If your enquiry falls within the remit of a Freedom of Information request
Her Majesty’s Passport Office will send you an acknowledgement within the
next 2 working days.


If your enquiry does not fall within the Freedom of Information remit this
will not be forwarded or responded to. Therefore please contact the
appropriate department listed below:


• For a passport enquiry or complaint, please complete an online enquiry


• If your enquiry or complaint relates to a certificate which you have
ordered from the General Registrar’s Office, please complete the
certificate service order enquiries form.


• If your request is for information relating to your data held by Her
Majesty’s Passport Office or an individual it falls under the terms of the
Data Protection Act 1998 and may qualify as a Subject Access Request,
please email [email address]


• If your enquiry relates to nationality you should forward your enquiry
to the UK Visas and Immigration enquiry team who are better placed to
respond, please email    [email address] 



dangos adrannau a ddyfynnir

HM Passport Office

Dear Grzegorz Gulczynski,

Thank you for your email.

From the information provided it would appear your first child does not have a potential claim to a British Passport.

In order for your first child to be eligible to a UK passport you needed to have been living in the UK for 5 years prior to your child's birth. As you entered the UK in 2009 and your child was born in 2011 this is only 2 years.

For information on becoming a British citizen please visit: or contact the Home Office on 0300 123 2253.

If you require any further information, please contact us through our helpline on +44 (0)300 222 0000 or via e-mail [email address]

Kind regards,

E. Taylor-Valles
HM Passport Office Operations
Customer Service Management Team

Her Majesty’s Passport Office

The details that you provide to Her Majesty's Passport Office (HMPO) and any response from us will be sent to you by unencrypted e-mail via the internet. This means that complete confidentiality of your personal information is not possible because we cannot guarantee the security of the internet communications. If you are not comfortable with this arrangement, you may prefer to contact us by telephone or post

Apply online to renew your passport at:

dangos adrannau a ddyfynnir