Number of first-year students without accommodation

Roedd y cais yn llwyddiannus.

Dear University of Reading,

I would like to request the following information under the Freedom of Information Act 2000.

How many first-year students are not housed in university-owned accomodation as of 2nd October 2017?

Please send me this information electronically.

Yours faithfully,

Joshua Coombes

IMPS, University of Reading

Dear Mr Coombes

This is to acknowledge receipt of your request for information below and to let you know it is being processed.

We'll get back to you as soon as we can, but in any case within 20 working days from 02/10/2017

In the meantime, if you wish to add any further details or check on progress, please reply to this message, without altering the 'Subject:' line, so that we can track your input and respond promptly.

Yours sincerely,

Sinead Latham

Information Management & Policy Services (IMPS), University of Reading, Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 6AH
t: +44 (0)118 378 8981

IMPS, University of Reading

Dear Mr Coombes,

We have completed the compilation of information in response to your request.

We can confirm that we do hold the information specified in your request. Our response is given below.

As of the 2nd of October 2017 there were 2964 first year* students not in ‘University Halls Accommodation’**.

*Please note: the University definition of ‘first year student’ includes any student on the first year of study of any (full-time or part-time), on any level of study (including PGR, PGT and UG), across any of our campuses (including Whiteknights, London Road and University of Reading Malaysia). Not all of these students are eligible to apply for halls accommodation.

**Please note: as the University of Reading does not own any halls accommodation we have taken this request to mean UPP owned accommodation for which the University acts as Landlord.

We are required to include details of our complaints procedures, including your rights to apply to the Information Commissioner. The procedure is detailed in our Freedom of Information and Environmental Information Regulations policy on the web at

If we are unable to resolve any complaint, you can complain to the Information Commissioner, the independent body who oversees the access to information regimes:

Information Commissioner
Wycliffe House
Water Lane

Email: [email address]

Yours sincerely

Rebecca Daniells
IMPS Officer

Information Management & Policy Services (IMPS), University of Reading, Whiteknights, Reading, RG6 6AH
[University of Reading request email] t: +44 (0)118 378 8981