Dear St John’s College, Oxford,
Under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000, I kindly
request some raw data from you regarding university applications to the Mathematics (G100) course:
1) The mean MAT score for those who were shortlisted by SJC in the 2017 entry cycle
2) The mean MAT score for those who were shortlisted by SJC in the 2018 entry cycle
3) The mean interview score for shortlisted SJC applicants in the 2018 entry cycle
4) The mean interview score for SJC candidates who received an offer in the 2018 entry cycle
5) In the 2017 entry cycle, the proportion of shortlisted SJC candidates who scored above the mean MAT score for those shortlisted by SJC and received an offer.
6) In the 2018 entry cycle, the proportion of shortlisted SJC candidates who scored above the mean MAT score for those shortlisted by SJC and received an offer.
On SJC's website for Maths and Joint Schools, it is said that you "place relatively little weight on the interview itself in selecting candidates, focusing instead upon performance in examinations and school reports." In light of this, I kindly request
7) A detailed description of how the interview score is weighted in conjunction with the MAT, school report, and other examinations in order to determine how offers are given
8) How the above weighting of candidate parameters differs from the weighting used at other Colleges of the University of Oxford. (While detailed descriptions of other Colleges' weighting systems are not sought, a statement on how, in a general sense, SJC's weighting and decision-making process differs is sought.)
I would also like to know
9) The a success rate of G100 applicants to SJC who describe themselves as Black in the 2016, 2017, and 2018 entry cycles
10) The number of Black applicants who have applied to SJC for the G100 course within the last 5, 10, and 18 cycles.
11) The number of Black applicants accepted to SJC for the G100 course within the last 5, 10, and 18 cycles.
"SJC" is meant to refer to St John's College, Oxford.
Please find attached the College's reply to your recent FOI request.
St John’s College
Oxford OX1 3JP
Tel: 01865 277321
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now