Library statistics 2021
Dear Conwy County Borough Council,
FAO The Library Service.
Hello, I have two freedom of information (FOI) queries that should be quick. This is being sent to all UK library services so be assured you aren't being singled out! If the operating of the library service has been outsourced to a separate organisation then please fulfil this request by retrieving the response from that body.
1. Does the library service complete annual library statistics to be sent to CIPFA? And specifically, have these been completed for the financial year 2020/2021?
2. If the answer to the above is Yes, please include a copy of your 2020/2021 CIPFA library statistics return in your response. This should be sent in the same format as was sent to CIPFA (e.g. an Excel spreadsheet).
It is important that this should be an exact copy of the data sent to CIPFA. I am not requesting any data that is owned by CIPFA, such as their own aggregated reports. As the data is compiled by the library service it is public library data, and subject to Freedom of Information.
To try and cover any concerns about the second part of this request, I have answered a number of potential worries below. Please have a quick look through these before responding!
- Data Format. The data should be sent as structured data in spreadsheet format. Guidelines from the Information Commissioner's Office specify that it is reasonable to request data in a re-usable and "Machine-readable" formats. For example, if the data were exported to a PDF file then that would not be acceptable, as that is a document rather than structured data.
- FOI exemption: accessible by other means. Occasionally, requesters in the past have been told that this data could be exempt from FOI as it accessible from CIPFA when it is published. However this fails the test of being 'reasonably' accessible due to the high cost for a member of the public. This exemption would certainly be overturned on appeal.
- FOI exemption: commercial interest. Commercial interest exemptions do exist in FOI legislation but this would not apply to a single third party (e.g. CIPFA) who use public data. Their commercial interests are in the value they provide in reporting on that data.
Thank you in advance!
Diolch am eich neges e-bost. Os ydych yn gofyn am fynediad at wybodaeth
dan delerau Deddf Rhyddid Gwybodaeth 2000 cewch ymateb o fewn ugain
Thank you for your email. If you are requesting access to information
under the terms of the Freedom of Information Act 2000 you will receive a
response within twenty working days.
Sefyllfa Bresennol Gwasanaethau'r Cyngor | Council Services
Rydym yn croesawu gohebiaeth yn y Gymraeg a’r Saesneg fel ei gilydd. Ni
fydd gohebiaeth yn yr un iaith na’r llall yn arwain at unrhyw oedi. We
welcome correspondence in both Welsh and English. We will respond to
correspondence in either language without delay. [USEMAP]
Thank you for your enquiry.
In light of the unprecedented challenges posed by the coronavirus pandemic please be aware that we will continue to make every effort to comply with any relevant timescales that might apply to your enquiry, however the safety and security of the public remains the primary concern and it is with this in mind please be aware that some slippage might occur with regards to the timely provision of any response.
This will be kept to a minimum wherever possible and the Council will review its position in line with directions from Government and Public Health organisations as and when required.
Thanking you in advance for your understanding and patience.
Uned Llywodraethu Gwybodaeth/ Information Governance Unit Cyngor Bwrdeistref Sirol CONWY County Borough Council E-Bost / E-Mail: [Conwy Council request email]
Dear Mr Rowe
Re: 0408-21 RE: Freedom of Information request - Library statistics 2021
Thank you for your email received 15 September 2021 where you requested information about Library statistics 2021, the Culture and Information Service in Conwy do not complete a CIPFA return.
If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your request, you have the right to ask for an internal review. Internal review requests should be submitted within two months of the date of receipt of this response and should be sent to the address above or email [Conwy Council request email]
If you are not content with the outcome of the internal review, or if you are unhappy with this response you may appeal to the Information Commissioner’s Office – Wales, 2nd Floor, Churchill House, Churchill Way, Cardiff, CF10 2HH.
Yn gywir / Yours sincerely
Economi a Diwylliant / Economy and Culture
Cyngor Bwrdeistref Sirol CONWY County Borough Council
Cyfeiriad Post/Postal Address: Blwch Post 1/ PO Box 1, Conwy, LL30 9GN
CCEbost/Email [email address]
Peidiwch â phrintio'r neges yma os nad oes angen Please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to
Lleihau Ailddefnyddio Ailgylchu • Reduce Re-use Recycle
Rydym yn croesawu gohebiaeth yn Gymraeg. Byddwn yn ymateb i unrhyw ohebiaeth yn Gymraeg ac ni fydd hyn yn arwain at unrhyw oedi.
We welcome correspondence in Welsh. We will respond to any correspondence in Welsh which will not lead to a delay.
Ar gyfer yr hysbysiad preifatrwydd cwynion cliciwch ar y ddolen ganlynol Hysbysiad Preifatrwydd Cwynion Corfforaethol
For the complaints privacy notice please click the following link Corporate Complaints Privacy Notice
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now