Dear University of Brighton,
Please could you send the following information as outlined in the Freedom of Information Act for the year ending 1st April July 2017, or for the financial year in which 1st April 2017 falls. If information for that period is not yet available, please use the most recent information you have. Please specify what period this information refers to at the beginning of your answer.
1. i) The number of individuals employed by the university who receive total remuneration* of £140,000 pa or more.
ii) The number of these individuals who are women.
2. The total remuneration* of the highest paid employee.
3. i) The number of individuals directly employed by the university who are paid less than the Living Wage of £8.45 per hour [or £9.75 per hour within Greater London].
ii) The number of these individuals (paid less than Living Wage) who are women.
iii) If available, the number of individuals employed by outside contractors to provide services at your university who are paid less than the Living Wage of £8.45 per hour [or £9.75 per hour within Greater London].
iv) Whether your university has a policy to require on-site staff working for external contractors to be paid Living Wage rates as a minimum.
4. i) The number of employees paid at exactly the National Minimum Wage, including those employed by outside contractors to work at your university.
ii) The number of these individuals (paid at exactly National Minimum Wage) who are women.
5. i) The number of apprentices employed by your university.
ii) The lowest remuneration* received by apprentices employed by your university.
6. The ratio between the total remuneration* of the highest-paid employee and the total remuneration* of the lowest-paid employee.
7. The ratio between the total remuneration* of the highest-paid employee and the total remuneration* of the median-paid employee.
*[adapted from the government's definition of remuneration (for local authority chief officers) under section 43 of the Localism Act 2011] Remuneration meaning:
(a)salary or, in the case of an individual engaged under a contract for services, payments made by the university to the individual those services,
(b)any bonuses payable by the university to the individual,
(c)any charges, fees or allowances payable by the authority to the individual,
(d)any benefits in kind to which the individual is entitled as a result of their office or employment,
(e)any increase in or enhancement of the individual's pension entitlement where the increase or enhancement is as a result of a resolution of the university, and
(f)any amounts payable by the university to the individual on the individual ceasing to hold office under or be employed by the university, other than amounts that may be payable by virtue of any enactment.
(g) calculated as full-time equivalent
Thank you for your Freedom of Information Act Request. Please refer to the attachment for the information requested.
Should you wish to seek a review of this response to your request, please write to Mr S Dudderidge, Registrar and Secretary, Mithras House, Lewes Road, Brighton BN2 4AT. If this fails to resolve the matter then you have the right to apply to the Information Commissioner for a decision.
University of Brighton,
Mithras House, Lewes Road,
Brighton BN2 4AT
Tel: 01273 642404
Thank you for your response.
Could I please get your ratios (below) in a X:1 format by Friday?
As it stands they are presented as
Excuse me that was
into an x:1 ratio please.
Here you go:
6. Ratio between total remuneration of highest paid and lowest paid: 15.0:1
7. Ratio between total remuneration of highest paid employee and median-paid employee 6.4:1
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now