Dear Southbrook School, Exeter,
Under the terms of the FOI Act 2000, I request the following information.
I am researching the use of “safety tech”, digital monitoring tools (software and services that monitor children’s online and offline activity) in UK schools. Please can you provide the following information.
Please break out total numbers annually, by your academic year or calendar year depending on the information you have available, since 2015 (the most recent 5 years) or since you began use, if less than five years ago:
1. Which company and product you use for this (for example Impero, NetSupport DNA, Smoothwall etc)
2. How many alerts in total were generated annually. Please provide the total number and grouped by (a) severity, ie 750 high level alerts and (b) how many by which category type i.e 250 self harm, 250 bullying, 250 extremism etc.
3. For how many children in total, the alerts (in 2) were created.
4. For how many children a photograph was taken (triggered in the alert process by the child’s device webcam for example.)
5.Confirm how many referrals for how many children in total were made (from your pupils on roll) to the Prevent programme (annual totals).
6. Please confirm (a) whether or not such monitoring has been operational on digital activity while pupils are at home in lockdown and (b) numbers of alerts if known separately for the lockdown periods versus not.
7. Please provide a current copy of the policy that explains the use of such a system to the child and/or family.
8. How many staff or others currently, have access to the information generated about pupils from the system (ie 5, two DSLs, 2 network staff, 1 Head plus x number of the company staff can view the alerts generated).
Thank you for your consideration.
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now