Dear Jesus College, Cambridge,
I am writing to make a request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 for information relating to college employment practices. I would like to know the following, as of August 16th 2018:
1. As of August 16th 2018, the number of staff employed by the college who are working on zero-hours contracts?
2. As of August 16th 2018, the percentage of staff in non-academic/administrative positions employed by the college who are working on zero-hour contracts?
3. As of August 16th 2018, the number of staff currently employed on contracts from the Temporary Employment Service of the University of Cambridge?
4. As of August 16th 2018, the percentage of staff employed by the college on contracts from the Temporary Employment Service of the University of Cambridge?
5. As of August 16th 2018, the average current salary per employee (full time equivalent if part time), broken down by gender and pay level within your organisation.
If you are to invoke Section 43 to withhold information in relation to any of these questions please note you must provide details of the exact FOIA exemption, details of who would be prejudiced by this information, and a public interest test justifying a conclusion with arguments for and against the release of the information.
Thank you very much for your assistance with this request. If you would like any clarification of the information I have asked for, please don’t hesitate to get in touch. I look forward to receiving your response in the next 20 working days.
Thank you for your message. Both Communications and Marketing Managers
are out of the office until Monday 20 August. We will respond to your
email as soon as possible. If you have an urgent media enquiry, please
call the University's Communications Office on 01223 332300. Best regards,
Helen Harris and Kelly Quigley-Hicks Communications and Marketing Managers
Thank you for your request. The answers are as follows:
1) 49 people are retained on zero hours contracts. This is on the understanding that this work is on a casual basis in order to provide cover during busy periods (for example during the Conference season). Most of these are young workers looking to earn money during their holiday period.
2) No one is employed on a consistent basis on a zero hours contract, so we cannot come up with a reliable percentage figure for any given date.
3) One member of staff is employed on a TES contract
4) Less than 0.5%
Further details about making a request to the College, including your rights if you are not satisfied with our response may be found at https://www.jesus.cam.ac.uk/college/abou...
Information and advice about the Freedom of Information Act and making requests is available from the Information Commissioner’s Office http://ico.org.uk/for_the_public/officia...
Information Compliance Officer
Jesus College Cambridge
e-mail: [email address]
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now