Dear Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency,
(1) When were microchips first installed in UK driving licenses ?
(2) What driving licence data is encoded in the chip ?
(3) Is the driving licence data encrypted, if so why when the same information is publicly shown on the plastic card ?
(4) Can ordinary people, utilising ordinary equipment, read this data ?
(5) What "national data", as opposed to driving licence data, is on the chip ?
Dear Mr Catalan
Thank you for your e-mail requesting information. The DVLA are dealing with your request under the terms of The Freedom of Information Act 2000.
Your request has been given reference number: FOIR8050.
You should expect to receive a reply to your request by 10 December.
If you have any further questions or enquiries on this request please quote the reference number.
Freedom Of Information
Strategy, Policy & Communications Directorate | C2W | DVLA | Swansea | SA6 7JL
We can always spot an untaxed car. Tax it or lose it.
Go to www.gov.uk/vehicletax
Twitter: @dvlagovuk | Facebook: dvlagovuk | YouTube: dvlagov
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now