Direct payment of Universal Credit housing costs element to landlords

E Farrell made this Rhyddid Gwybodaeth request to Department for Communities (Northern Ireland)

This request has been closed to new correspondence from the public body. Contact us if you think it ought be re-opened.

Dear Department for Communities (Northern Ireland),

The default position in Northern Ireland is to pay the housing costs element of Universal Credit directly to landlords. The recently released Universal Credit Statistics Northern Ireland states only 61% of private tenants in receipt of the housing costs element have this element paid directly to their landlords. The comparable percentage for social housing tenants is 94%.

Can you please provide a statistical breakdown showing why payments was made to the claimant rather than the landlord in 39% of claims from privately rented tenants?

Yours faithfully,

E Farrell

Fitzpatrick Sheila NISSA BELFAST CASTLE COURT,

2 Atodiad

 
Dear E Farrell
 
Following on from your recent Freedom of Information request in relation
to Direct payment of Universal Credit housing costs element to landlords
received on 2 September 2019 please see attached acknowledgement letter
for your information
 
 
 
 
Thank you
 
 
Sheila Fitzpatrick| Operational Control Centre – Universal Credit |
Department for Communities
|CastleCourt | Royal Avenue | Belfast | BT1 1DD
Contact: * [1][email address] |( DD:6869 | ( Tel:
02890 406869
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

dangos adrannau a ddyfynnir

References

Visible links
1. mailto:[email address]

Fitzpatrick Sheila NISSA BELFAST CASTLE COURT,

2 Atodiad

Dear E Farrell
 
Please see attached response to your Freedom Of Information Request
received by e mail on 2 September 2019 for your information
 
 
 
 
Thank you
 
 
Sheila Fitzpatrick| Operational Control Centre – Universal Credit |
Department for Communities
|CastleCourt | Royal Avenue | Belfast | BT1 1DD
Contact: * [1][email address] ( Tel: 02890 406869
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

dangos adrannau a ddyfynnir

References

Visible links
1. mailto:[email address]

Dear Department for Communities (Northern Ireland),

Please pass this on to the person who conducts Freedom of Information reviews.

I am writing to request an internal review of Department for Communities (Northern Ireland)'s handling of my FOI request 'Direct payment of Universal Credit housing costs element to landlords'.

In your reply you stated that the Department does not track the reasons for a payment of Housing Costs being made directly to the claimant rather than to the landlord, as is the default position. However, a letter from Permanent Secretary Tracey Meharg to the Work and Pensions Committee has stated that "fewer than 20 claimants have requested that their housing costs element is paid to them and not to their landlord". This suggests that the Department does, in fact, keep some records as to the reasons that a person's housing costs element is paid directly to them rather than to the landlord.

The information in the most recent statistical release on Universal Credit suggests some 4,474 claimants have their housing costs element paid directly to them, rather than to the landlord. Can you explain how the Department has been able to determine that less than 1% of this number requested direct payments, but is unable to provide reasons for direct payment in the remaining 99% of cases?

A full history of my FOI request and all correspondence is available on the Internet at this address: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/d...

Yours faithfully,

E Farrell

DfC FOI, Department for Communities (Northern Ireland)

1 Atodiad

E Farrell,

 

Please find attached an acknowledgement of your request for an internal
review of how the Department answered a recent FOI enquiry.

 

Regards

 

Damian O'Hara| Information Management Branch | Department for Communities

Level 5 | Nine Lanyon Place | BELFAST | BT1 3LP

Contact: * damian.o'[email address] | ( Tel: (028) 90 829137
| ( DD: 38137

 

 

 

dangos adrannau a ddyfynnir

Dear DfC FOI,

Can you please advise as to when I should expect to receive an update on the status of this internal review?

Yours sincerely,

E Farrell

DfC FOI, Department for Communities (Northern Ireland)

1 Atodiad

E Farrell,

 

Internal Review of FOI Request - DfC 2019-0206

 

Please find attached the Department’s response to your request for an
internal review.

Please accept my sincere apology for the short delay in responding to your
request and any inconvenience caused.

 

Regards,

 

Adrian

____________________________________________________________________

Adrian Boyce |Information Management Branch | Department for Communities

 

Supporting people, Building communities, Shaping places