Data on statutory overcrowding
Claire Wilde made this Rhyddid Gwybodaeth request to South Tyneside Metropolitan Borough Council as part of a batch sent to 314 authorities
Automatic anti-spam measures are in place for this older request. Please let us know if a further response is expected or if you are having trouble responding.
To whom it may regard,
I am writing to make an open government request for all the information to which I am entitled under the Freedom of Information Act 2000 - related to council houses that are in breach of statutory overcrowding rules.
This request refers to statutory overcrowding by both the ‘space standard’ (determining how many people may occupy a dwelling with regard to the number of sleeping accommodation rooms in the dwelling and floor area of the rooms) and the ‘room standard’ (determining how many non-cohabiting people aged 10 and over of the opposite sex may share sleeping accommodation) as defined by the Housing Act 1985.
For the calendar years 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020 (separately), please tell me:
1) How many statutory overcrowding breaches did the council record for households housed by the council in each year? Please provide a breakdown of breaches by a) space standard and b) room standard, and specify whether households may be captured as both a room and a space standard breach.
2) The number of breaches of the space standard where more than two people have lived in a home with one room
3) The number of breaches of the space standard where more than three people have lived in a home with two rooms
4) The number of breaches of the space standard where more than five people have lived in a home with three rooms
5) The number of breaches of the space standard where more than 7.5 people have lived in a home with four rooms
6) The number of breaches of the space standard where more than 10 people have lived in a home with five rooms
7) For breaches of the room standard, the maximum number of people sleeping in one room as recorded by the council
8) How many households who have applied for council housing are living in temporary accommodation
9) Please list all the types of temporary accommodation the council has placed households in (including but not limited to: shipping containers, caravans, B&Bs, converted office buildings, and any other kind of accomodation).
Please provide the requested data in a spreadsheet format.
If this request is too wide or unclear, I would be grateful if you could contact me as I understand that under the Act, you are required to advise and assist requesters.
I understand that you are required to respond to my request within the 20 working days after you receive this letter. I would be grateful if you could confirm in writing that you have received this request.
For clarity - I am using a Whatdotheyknow account created by my colleagues Claire Wilde and Harriet Clugston - but my name is Carly Roberts.
Dear Ms Roberts
Your FOI Request was received by South Tyneside Council on the 8th July 2021.
Coronavirus and information requests
While the Council will endeavour to process your request within the statutory timescales, please be aware that resources may be diverted away from usual compliance or information governance work.
You may experience understandable delays when making requests for information during the pandemic.
We thank you for your understanding in this matter.
If you have any further queries regarding this matter then please do not hesitate to contact the FOI team on [South Tyneside Council request email] or 0191 424 6539 and quote the reference number FOI 21.0620.
South Tyneside Council
Dear Ms Roberts
Please find attached the Council’s response to your Freedom of Information Request.
South Tyneside Council
We work to defend the right to FOI for everyone
Help us protect your right to hold public authorities to account. Donate and support our work.Donate Now